Raw protein combination safe for chicken-allergic kitten?

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

My little guy seems to be allergic to chicken. I feed him only homemade raw. To be safe, I cut out the yolks, gizzards, etc., and stopped using chicken as a protein. I now use beef, mutton, and rabbit. He doesn't seem to like goat, but is very cooperative and so far has eaten anything I have offered him.

I was alternating the proteins until recently. To cut down on the bone content of the mutton and rabbit (ground whole), I began to add boneless beef to the mix. This week I mixed all three proteins in the same batch. I supplement and balance with organs per Dr. Pierson's recipe.

My question is about the rotation. I would like to avoid another allergy. Is mixing the proteins (offered in the same meal) as effective as alternating them?

Thank you.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no. The point of alternating is that the cat's body doesn't get used to one single protein. Also, from your cat's point of view he would get the same meal every time he wants to eat. Might get bored. I'd rather increase variety as much as possible

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The general rule of thumb is to feed your cat(s) three different proteins. They can be from the same 'family', i.e., quail, duck and phesant (obviously not chicken if your cat is allergic). But to optimize nutrition--cause every protein has slightly/significant different nutritional profiles--I try to feed at least three different types of proteins, for example, chicken (or quail), beef and lamb or goat. I use to feed pork and turkey, but I believe Ritz may be sensitive to those proteins to holding off feeding her those for now.
And as rougethecat said, another reason to feed different proteins is so your cat doesn't get bored and refuse to eat. Ritz would only eat Fancy Feast Classic Seafood so in desparation I transitioned her to raw (prey model raw). Now, she'll eat anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ritz! So far the little guy has been cooperative. He is not a big fan of goat heart (happened to come across it at an international supermarket). He eats everything else.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear it :) Nice international supermarket. I can only find pork, chicken and beef heart at the one I go to.
They do sell male private parts but don't have the nerve to buy them!
And, tongue is really tough.