Raw How Much?

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In a recent thread a calculator was posted about how much raw to feed your cats. My two 8 month old cats eat a pound a day. Thats 8 ounces each. I feed them in two serving one in the morning and one at 5:00pm . The chart says to feed them Half of that. I tried to cut them back yeaterday and there was some crying and leg rubbing. These cats are starving. I don't want them to get fat. Also I leave down Wellness kibble for them to free feed. When I cut back the raw they just ate more kibble. Should I omit this food. I figurured the kibble would be a good supplement as far as vitamins and minerals. I'm really confused now. Any experts?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sailfish

In a recent thread a calculator was posted about how much raw to feed your cats. My two 8 month old cats eat a pound a day. Thats 8 ounces each. I feed them in two serving one in the morning and one at 5:00pm . The chart says to feed them Half of that. I tried to cut them back yeaterday and there was some crying and leg rubbing. These cats are starving. I don't want them to get fat. Also I leave down Wellness kibble for them to free feed. When I cut back the raw they just ate more kibble. Should I omit this food. I figurured the kibble would be a good supplement as far as vitamins and minerals. I'm really confused now. Any experts?
I think using the calculator as a general guide is a good idea,.......but.......
You should also factor in each cats daily habits. For instance, what is the activity level of your cats and what is their metabolism like? Are they still growing? Highly active cats need more food, than the average cat.
Bengals continue to grow until they are 18 months old and some until they are 2 years old. Bengals are also very active cats, so they burn lots of calories.
I'd say feed them as much as they like, but if you see that after feedings they have a very distended belly (gorging), then cut back. Also if they start developing a pouch, that clearly feels like fat when palpated, then cut back.

Another idea, if your cats start putting on weight is to utilize more raw rabbit
in their diet as it is a very lean meat. Just don't feed only rabbit, or they will be even more ravenous, because they will be craving more fat in their diet.

southernlocs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad u said something about the bengals Kaibengals bc thats what i have and the recommend measurements were too small for them. I thought i had some greedy bengals
Guess i'll just feed them until they are not huggin my legs for more food lol

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thats good too know in case Zoey ever decides a mainly raw diet is for her... I feed an 8 yr old dog and a 17.5 cat raw and they both eat 4-6 ounces a day ..