Raw for Tooth Health?

jezzybezzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The past year or so I have really increased my knowledge on cat nutrition. Right now, for many reasons I am unable to feed raw. I have, however, increased substantially the amount of grain free wet. My cat still gets grain free kibble in the am. She is 5 and always been on grain free.
My question is: could I, in essence, "fast" my cat one day a week of kibble and in exchange feed her raw chicken neck/wings?
Why I would like to do this: I live in an extremely rural part of the country and only have 1 vet within hours drive. My cat is small at about 5 - 5.5lbs. She has been sedated twice, once for her spay and once this past summer for her teeth cleaning. Both times the anesthesia has really wiped her out. I'm talking for days. With her spay it was 3 days before she was able to get up and walk on her own. It was traumatic to say the least. Similar experience this past summer with the teeth cleaning except she was able to move on her own at day 2. She just lay there, like she was dead. When I checked on her in the middle of the night she was so deep under I actaully thought she *had* passed :( Anyway I hope that I can limit the amount she must go under for a teeth cleaning by feeding her items that will naturally clean.

This may not be an option, and I might be totally crazy for thinking it could work...but figure you all will tell me! Lol. And this is my first cat so maybe the anesthesia reaction was normal? But I don't think so. Ive also been attempting to use a toothbrush with very limmitted success.

Sorry this is so long & thanks for any advice!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had success giving dogs raw beef ribs for tooth cleaning. My mom adopted a dog with terribly icky teeth, we were sure she'd need a dental. But a few ribs later and her teeth were shiny clean! Raw chicken bones don't do anything for her teeth, though. I imagine it has something to do with size and how long she spends chewing on them.

I've heard that chicken wings are good for cat dental health but I don't really have a lot of personal experience with it. My cats eat the meat off the bones whenever I give them wings :tongue2:.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jezzybezzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suppose I could just try it. Start out raw one day a week and work up to getting her, hopefully, able to eat wings. I just don't want to put her under every year if its gonna be like that.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, JezyBezzy!

I can understand your concern. I once had a lovely tiny Yorkie that I never did spay for that very same reason.

There are folks who feed a standard commercial diet of canned foods and throw in a bone-in meal once or twice a week. My only concern with such a practice is the potential for too much calcium in the diet, since chicken wings are almost half bone and canned foods already contain an appropriate amount of calcium.

So my suggestion to you would be two-fold. First, watch your girl's litter box habits carefully and if she looks like she's straining to pass her stool, back off the chicken wings. Second, incorporate some completely boneless meat meals to balance the extra bone from the chicken wings. Oh, and don't feed the whole chicken wing, just the tip and the middle part (which you can cut in half, between the two bones, to make it easier for your girl to eat). You can peel some of the extra skin off the third piece, the drummette, strip the meat off the bone, and offer her that meat as one of the balancing meals (throw the extra skin and the bone away).

Good luck, hon!

AC

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kids won't eat bones w/ a bit of meat on them if given whole or in parts except Izzy. I think this is because the other two just don't know what to do with them. So, I use the coarsest grinding plate on my grinder to get bones that they actually do chew a bit, plus they also chew some of the meat because of the chunkiness of it. So far their teeth/gums look good. Even Abby, who had gum issues years ago before switching to raw, no longer has any inflammation of his gums. It could also be that with a raw diet they are eating food that promotes a healthier "mouth" environment, because the acidity of the meat works with enzymes in their mouth to promote that environment.

Another option is brushing kitty's teeth and gums once a week using a kitty toothpaste (one that does not contain sugars, and other crappy ingredients, but definitely not human toothpaste!) using either a small cat toothbrush or finger brush. Even if a kitty isn't too keen on this, they can sometimes learn to accept it if you go slow and maybe start out by using just your [clean] finger (no toothpaste) to rub around the mouth area, then gradually over time to their gums, then teeth. Then introduce a wee bit of kitty toothpaste on your finger, then go with a finger brush (or toothbrush). Takes time and patience, and also a kitty that isn't adverse to having their mouth messed with. Some kitties actually love having their gums massaged.

Some great info on kitty dental health here, including making your own toothpaste (much better than the commercial pet ones because of questionable ingredients IMO), RMBs, and other ideas.

jezzybezzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great, thanks for the advice! Ill give these ideas a go and hopefully with a little luck her pearly whites will be...well...pearly white! :lol3:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz had gingivitus at the ripe old age of 2 years for which she had to be sedated and have a dental cleaning.  That was one reason I transitioned Ritz to raw.

Ritz loves bones, but she gets constipated fairly easily.  I gave her a chicken wingette once and it was a little too hard for her.

I noticed you indicated you live in a rural area--any farmers raise rabbits?   Those bones are small, as are quail (available at Asian and international supermarkets) and Cornish hens (widely available).

At Ritz' last wellness check (required by my pet insurance), the vet was very complimentary about her teeth.  And silkiness of her fur.

jezzybezzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Cindy. I know there is a local quail farmer and I can get Cornish hens from the butcher. I would guess they also have rabbit, or could get it for me.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some great info on kitty dental health here, including making your own toothpaste (much better than the commercial pet ones because of questionable ingredients IMO), RMBs, and other ideas.
I have been doing this for my cats but not as often as I should. :anon: My vet also suggested using a gauze pad and rub it gently on the gums back and forth. I put the kitty toothpaste on the gauze piece and it has been working quite well, for some of them anyway. :rolleyes: thanks for the link, Jules!!! ;)