Raw Food Basic Handling Safety Guidelines

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a thread somewhere that discusses basic handling safety? Don't thaw frozen raw on counter, don't buy preground meats, etc. I want to make sure I've got the basics covered.

Thanks.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think we have....
Here is what I follow: When I am defrosting large quantities of meat to prepare their meals into ziplock baggies, I always defrost in the fridge, in the lower session/tray. I defrost enough to cut only.
I make sure all surfaces are cleaned, and wiped with clorox anywhere.
I wash my hands before and after cutting the meat and preparing meals.
I don't dry my hands with a cloth, I rather use paper towels and toss them away.

Their meals are stored in freezer safe ziplock baggies.
I don't defrost their meals ahead of time in the fridge - at feeding time I pull a baggie and defrost it by immersing it under warm water for a few minutes.
All meat is served and consumed in that meal, within 20 minutes. Uneaten portions are discarded.
Meals are served on a plate on the top of a place mat. After the meal the plate mat is wiped with clorox anywhere, as well as scale and board (for spills)

Plates and shears are immediately washed.
I don't think there is anything more than that......

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In our house, anything that actually touches the meat (dishes, spoons, placemats, countertops, hands, etc.,) get washed with soap and hot water.  I dry off my hands on my hand drying towel.  Everything else I let "drip dry".  I DO admit that I "drip dry"  the cats' dishes separate from our dishes...not sure why because I know they are clean...just a phobia of mine, I guess. 

I also thaw the "working supply" of food in the fridge.  Once I open one container that's thawed, then I pull another out of the freezer.  By the time I'm finished with the first one, the next one is thawed, since one container usually lasts for a day. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do all of the above!!! I also use food prep gloves because my hands get so dry in the winter months from all of the washing. I also use Clorox Anywhere. I have a separate soap brush for the cats dishes and cutting boards. I thaw in the fridge in ziploc baggies and I also use paper towels to dry my hands, wipe surfaces. OH I also use the Clorox wipes. I think I am more aware of raw meat prep and sanitizing than I ever was before feeding my cats raw. I was not as cautious with raw meats before feeding my cats raw. :)

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my dishes - regardless of the use to which they're put - get tossed in the dishwasher for cleaning. The cutting board gets briskly rubbed down with dishsoap and hot water after each use and then allowed to drip dry; once a week or so, it's also tossed in the dishwasher.

I do clean my counter with Lysol wipes, then rinse and dry it with paper towels once a day, and the small area I use for prepping the cats' meals gets a quick dishsoap wash and clean-water rinse after each use. The cats' table and the four crates get cleaned with Lysol wipes and scrubbed with a dishsoup soaked sponge, respectively,and rinsed thoroughly with clean water about once a week.

My kitchen floor is cleaned with a no-soap, high-temp steam cleaner whenever I feel like it needs to be.

I think, in looking at everything, the only concession I make to the fact I handle so much meat is cleaning the counter with Lysol wipes every evening. Everything else I'd be doing anyway.

The cat foods are all thawed overnight on a cookie tray on the bottom shelf in the fridge. That keeps it away from the silly kitties, doesn't allow for much pathogen growth, and the pan catches the drippings as the stuff thaws. I don't use gloves when handling the food, although I probably should - my hands do get awfully dry from all the washing and rinsing sometimes, and I'm hesitant to use much lotion because the cats lick me so often.

AC

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. I don't do any of these things. I wasn't raised handling meat---our main meat consumption was ground beef and chicken nuggets, just plop it in the browning pan or oven, no handling necessary---so I don't really know any of this. I was also raised to be veryvery cautious with chemicals like Lysol and Clorox, so I'm actually more scared of those than of meat germs (I'm trying to change my mind about Clorox, since it's way safer than other sanitizing agents when used properly. But the smell still bugs me. . .). But I suppose should read up on raw meat handling safety.

I do thaw meat in a Gladware container in the fridge, mainly so I don't have to wipe meat juice off the shelf :tongue2:. And I wash their dishes daily. . .usually. But I wash and dry all dishes together, and I hardly ever remember to pop the sponge in the microwave. And I let the dogs eat whatever is left over the next morning.

And, well, we're not dead yet? :emba: :D :anon:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone!

Yeah, I'll have to admit there's a lot of stuff everyone does that I don't. I'm printing out this thread and reviewing what I should be doing. Thankfully, some of it doesn't apply. For instance, I'm feeding ground with a premix, so I can pretty much reach into the plastic baggie with a spoon when serving without touching.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And, well, we're not dead yet? :emba: :D :anon:
Well, that is VERY good news, indeed!!! I have to say, that I am no where as "anal" about cleaning up and sanitizing as I was when we first started. :lol3: It gets easier with time and you do relax about overdoing the clean ups. :bigwink:

odettemayers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When it comes to their meat food I place it in a microwavable plate with cover and put it in a chiller. When I use to clean the house I make sure that my pets are in one room because I am spraying Lysol and I know that is harm for them. I have separate spoon for them and I make sure that their raw food is sealed son that it will not be contaminated.

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, that is VERY good news, indeed!!! I have to say, that I am no where as "anal" about cleaning up and sanitizing as I was when we first started.
It gets easier with time and you do relax about overdoing the clean ups.
I'm starting to relax a bit with the crazy cleaning! I obviously make sure I handle everything safely, but I'm not overdoing it I think anymore.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was also raised to be very very cautious with chemicals like Lysol and Clorox, so I'm actually more scared of those than of meat germs (I'm trying to change my mind about Clorox, since it's way safer than other sanitizing agents when used properly. But the smell still bugs me. . .). But I suppose should read up on raw meat handling safety.
You are actually very very lucky to have been raised to be cautious of chemicals.  I believe Lysol is a phenol, which is toxic to cats.  Clorox is highly toxic, but I know it works on disinfecting.  The effective ratio is 1 part bleach to 10 parts water.  You can mix that up in a spray bottle, but it has to be replaced every week or so or it looses effectiveness. 

I try not to ever use bleach, partially because I am on a septic system, but also because it's so toxic.  I am in agreement about being more scared of bleach and Lysol than I am of meat germs.  How is handling the raw food any different than handling any other raw poultry or other meats that people typically prepare?   I have a huge yellow cutting board that I use only for meat and poultry and clean it with hot soapy water and then spray it with hydrogen peroxide. 

There are two things I always have nearby in the kitchen that seem to do a good job of disinfecting without being toxic:  A big botttle of hydrogen peroxide - the strongest you can find.   I take off the cap and replace it with a spray trigger.  Another thing, believe it or not, is Vodka!  I put the cheapest kind I can get in a spray bottle. The vodka also works great on washing the residue off fruits and vegetables. Alcohol is a great disinfectant and Vodka can be used around food, unlike rubbing alcohol. 

Keep in mind things like water faucets and other things you touch when handling raw meat or poulty and be sure to clean those too.  I usually turn on the water with a paper towel when I'm trying to not contaminate things.

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gosh, I guess I need to be more aware as well.  I defrost in the fridge but inside a container so nothing drips or whatnot.  I clean the counters and stuff but not thoroughly - I basically just wash it down. I clean their bowls really well after each use but with the same scrub brush that clean my own dishes. hmmmmm.  I will have to put more energy into just making sure things are wiped down better; although, so far we've all surivived.