Raw Feeding Questions

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I had a few questions about the raw diet. I'm trying not to use a pre-mix like Felini since I heard it's much healthier to make it with all the ingredients, so I'm trying to learn more about making it naturally. Sorry for all the questions.

I was wondering if anyone knows about the Kenwood MG510 or Andrew James grinders. Which grinder is better and what types of bones is it capable of grinding? Would it be able to handle chicken thigh's and maybe chicken legs (drumsticks)?

Do you put the whole piece in the grinder or do you remove the meat before you add the bone in the grinder.

Are egg shells as good of a source for calcuim as bones are? I'm wondering since I heard some people use egg shells instead of bones.

Would chicken breast be considered a muscle meat? I'm wondering in case I do decide to use egg shells since chicken breasts don't have bones, so it would be easy to use.

I've been looking at this recipe and I had a few questions about it.
http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html

This might be a stupid question, but what is raw glandular supplement? I've tried searching for it in a vitamin store, but I wasn't able to find it here in the Netherlands.

Would it be alright if I didn't add the psyllium husk powder?

Is it alright to add Fish Oil instead of Salmon Oil?

I was also wondering if I decide to use egg shells, but follow the recipe, how much teaspoons/tablespoons would I need of it?

I really do like this recipe since it is good for beginners and I was wondering would I be able to use the same recipe, but change chicken with other meats for variety? Like if I add 2kg of pork or lamb, then pork or lamb heart/liver? Will that still be alright?

Thank you all again for your help

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My answers are in red.

I had a few questions about the raw diet. I'm trying not to use a pre-mix like Felini since I heard it's much healthier to make it with all the ingredients, so I'm trying to learn more about making it naturally. Sorry for all the questions.

I'm not sure that Felini is necessarily a bad thing to use.  I'd rather a person use a premix than omit important ingredients.  More about that in a minute.

I was wondering if anyone knows about the Kenwood MG510 or Andrew James grinders. Which grinder is better and what types of bones is it capable of grinding? Would it be able to handle chicken thigh's and maybe chicken legs (drumsticks)?

I'm in the US and have a Tasin, but I wanted to comment that when grinding bone, chicken is by far the easiest to grind.  You may want to ask a butcher about grinders.  They may have some advice for you.

Be aware though, that chicken legs have a different meat to bone ratio than chicken thighs and that may alter the recipe (how many bones to leave out).

Do you put the whole piece in the grinder or do you remove the meat before you add the bone in the grinder.

I cut the meat a little just so that the chicken thigh will fit into the tube.  I send whatever I cut right behind or in front of it.   But no, I do not fully debone meat then grind meat and bones.

Are egg shells as good of a source for calcuim as bones are? I'm wondering since I heard some people use egg shells instead of bones.

Some other members can explain more as vball91 mentioned, but eggshells do not provide phosphorus (meat has phosphorus).  I feed some bone (chicken, Cornish hens) and some meats without bone (pork) and use eggshells for that.

Would chicken breast be considered a muscle meat? I'm wondering in case I do decide to use egg shells since chicken breasts don't have bones, so it would be easy to use.

Breast is a muscle meat.  An expensive meat, but a meat nonetheless.

I've been looking at this recipe and I had a few questions about it.
http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html

This might be a stupid question, but what is raw glandular supplement? I've tried searching for it in a vitamin store, but I wasn't able to find it here in the Netherlands.

Would it be alright if I didn't add the psyllium husk powder?

http://www.vitamingrocer.co.uk/ImmoPlex-Glandular-p/11395.htm

Does that link help any?  Not everyone uses the glandulars, I do because I feel it may make the food more complete.  You're not wrong for not using it.  I would not add the psylium.

Is it alright to add Fish Oil instead of Salmon Oil?

I was also wondering if I decide to use egg shells, but follow the recipe, how much teaspoons/tablespoons would I need of it?

I use fish oil instead of salmon oil.

If you use boneless meat, then using eggshell powder is fine.  The amounts are in then eggshell thread of the resources.

I really do like this recipe since it is good for beginners and I was wondering would I be able to use the same recipe, but change chicken with other meats for variety? Like if I add 2kg of pork or lamb, then pork or lamb heart/liver? Will that still be alright?

I use other meats (like pork) and go the boneless route. Just make sure that your kitties are still getting heart, liver, and supplements to balance the recipe.  I am not familiar with the nutrient profiles of other species' organs...that might be a good separate thread to start up.

Thank you all again for your help

No problem!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Concurring with all @peaches08  posted. l also use the Glandulars for the same reason, and l omit the Psyllium now. l used to use it when l first started making raw, but one of my cats became constipated. So rather than add more water to compensate, l removed the Psyllium and that rectified the problem. l occasionally add a little pumpkin.

l don't use fish oil, l alternate between salmon oil and krill oil (my cats LOVE the krill).

Also, the recipe says Taurine is optional if it's going to be frozen for a few weeks  -  even when l make a single batch that will be used within a week, l always add the Taurine.

silkcatseyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a Kenwood MG510 (well, 2 in effect, see reason below)

I purchased the first one and it worked great for 2 months and then started making the most horrendous screeching noise and wouldn't grind anymore - luckily, it was still under guarantee so I sent it off to have it repaired. Trouble is, it too wayyyy too long, so I bit the bullet and bought a second one (on offer).

I now have 2 (the problem is that although the kenwood is 'all' metal, the inside components are plastic, sad but true).

I have since slightly changed the way I grind - I try and chop/hammer the bones (especially the rabbit bones) a bit more before putting it through the grinder; also, I grind the chicken skin separately and last as it tends to clog.

Since then, all ok (but I have also cut down on the grinding as I now use eggshell powder with the chicken).

Hope this helps