Raw feeding is FUN!! (long one)

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A little background for those who don't know...I transitioned my cats from the highest quality kibble/canned food to commercial frozen raw several months ago, for one of my boys that had chronic diarrhea. Raw feeding totally fixed his tummy problems and worked wonders for the other cats that I wasn't expecting - including my 8 year old girl that I had taken to the vet because she was "not herself", had blood work done, vet just said "she's getting older and slowing down" and couldn't find anything wrong. 2 days of raw food and she was running around like a kitten again.

I was sold on raw!

I've always been too scared to prepare the food myself. Reading so many different methods and theories...ground, whole, bones or no bones, veggies or none, supplements, the whole thing has been so entirely overwhelming for me that every time I thought I was ready to switch from commercial to making the food myself, it would freak me out and I'd just go to the store and buy another (very expensive) bag or two of frozen food. That took all the guesswork out of it, and I could sleep at night knowing my cats were getting all the taurine, calcium, vitamins, etc. they needed.

Then I started having problems... first, the cats were getting tired of their raw nuggets. I had to buy liver powder to sprinkle on top or go back to mixing some with canned food to get them to eat it. We were taking a step back with our raw feeding progress! I even had to put my 8 year old back on cat food completely because she flat out refused the raw food. The only raw I could get her to eat was fresh raw chicken. Second, I started noticing some quality issues with the commercial food. More than once, I had to return $60 worth of food to the store because it was freezer burned. That really got me concerned and finally ready to dive in and tackle doing it myself.

For weeks, I've been reading everything I can get my eyes on, including some weblinks from some very helpful members on this forum (thank you!).

No joke, I have been losing sleep over this, so terrified that I'm going to screw something up and end up with a constipated, taurine deficient, blind cat with a heart problem all because I wanted to save a buck on their food. With a LOT of help and a lot of researching, I think I am finally getting it, and finally comfortable with this!!!

Would love to hear everyone's input and suggestions. I'm still very "green", obviously, trying to get the hang of it. My cats are loving every minute of it..they seem excited to try whatever I throw in front of them so far! Still not sure I'm balancing it all properly, still not sure of the amounts to feed - but the more I read, the more I'm learning that I've been making this out to be much more complicated than it really is.

Here's where the diet stands - for now. I totally consider this to be a transition. My ultimate goal is to get them eating whole prey. I'm not sure yet if that's a possibility...time will tell!

For now, they're getting ground meat/organ/bones with a supplement added. I don't think I need the supplement, but this is for my peace of mind until I get a stronger handle on what I'm doing. Per a member's recommendation, I think I'll probably just give taurine and omegas in the future. The proteins are rabbit, chicken, turkey, duck and pheasant. The rabbit today was a huge hit! They also love beef, but Mandy can't stomach it...it comes right back up after she eats it. (If she can't handle beef muscle, should I assume she couldn't eat beef organs, too?)

Again, my ultimate goal is to transition them away from ground, so my plan is to start adding chunks and bones and eliminate the ground but ...baby steps...

I'm also giving them chicken wings, necks, and hearts. Right now as snacks because I haven't figured out portions and they haven't been able to get through the bones yet. Until I know they can eat all their bones, I plan to stick with the ground meat/bones so I can be sure they're getting all the calcium. I know it isn't ideal, but I'd rather they get calcium from ground bone then from a supplement or bone meal (blech!).

Last night I gave each kitty a chicken drummette just to see what would happen. It was awesome!! I was so proud of my little carnivores, ripping away at their goodies.
Surprisingly, my tiny little 8 year old, Helen, didn't hesitate at all. She gave it a really good effort, but isn't strong enough (yet) to eat the bone. Walter was a riot, running through the house with his drumstick hanging out of his mouth. Mandy, the one who gave me the hardest time switching to raw, is the only one of the 4 who actually ate the bone! It took her two hours, but she was determined!

I think I might be enjoying this raw feeding thing as much as my cats are!

swoshum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nicely done! prey model raw is a great way to go, whole prey is even better!

For getting them started with bones, I would recommend getting some chicken wingettes because they're the ones with the two thinner bones on either side and all the meat around it and in the middle. The thinner bones are a good training aide to get them eating bigger bones.

Sounds like they're getting fantastic variety. What you want to do to "balance" the diet is just make sure they get mostly muscle meat, some bone, and a little organs (like 10 - 15%) of their diet. What I do is a chicken drumstick per day, per cat. Once a week I will give them some chicken liver or beef liver in addition to their meal. I will also give them some beef heart once a week or so, chicken hearts and gizzards, etc. which don't count as organs, but still a super nutritious snack that they LOVE.

I also like to give them once egg and fish every week or two as well. They won't eat the egg raw so I scramble it up for them, then they love it. About twice a month, I will also give them ground beef, pork, turkey or whatever else I have around for variety.

Their stools are completely solid and odorless, their coats are absolutely gorgeous and soft and they barely shed, and their teeth are still sparkly white with no trace of gingivitis (they're still a little less than a year old, but sadly I see many cats their age who are already developing tartar build-up and gingivitis).

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WOW! Good to hear that!

I have the problem of freezer burn too. Since this is the first pack of raw commercial nuggets I bought, I thought it was normal even with pale looking nuggets. I am not sure if I can return it after 2 weeks of purchase.

I have some similar situation about my kittens get tired of raw food. I try to rotate what they eat, chicken, quail, pork, lamb, turkey. Now I cannot feed lamb to Panther, I think he has issue with it, he throws up right away. But even with rotating, they will be all interested in one meal and sometimes not in another meal.

Bad thing is that Cheetah now won't even eat dry nor canned now (what should I do with all my canned???), and Panther will eat dry only when he is not in the mood for raw.

Raw feeding is more challenging when we thought (I am very green here too). It is great to have people on the forum talking about it and helping us out.

Keep up the good work and good luck!

swoshum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When they're being picky, try feeding them smallish chunks of raw or lightly seared chicken, that should make them happy! Also, cats usually love liver, hearts, and gizzards, so keep some of that on hand to entice them as well. If all else fails, canned mackerel has always been a hit with my mom's and my cat's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by koobe

WOW! Good to hear that!

I have the problem of freezer burn too. Since this is the first pack of raw commercial nuggets I bought, I thought it was normal even with pale looking nuggets. I am not sure if I can return it after 2 weeks of purchase.

I have some similar situation about my kittens get tired of raw food. I try to rotate what they eat, chicken, quail, pork, lamb, turkey. Now I cannot feed lamb to Panther, I think he has issue with it, he throws up right away. But even with rotating, they will be all interested in one meal and sometimes not in another meal.

Bad thing is that Cheetah now won't even eat dry nor canned now (what should I do with all my canned???), and Panther will eat dry only when he is not in the mood for raw.

Raw feeding is more challenging when we thought (I am very green here too). It is great to have people on the forum talking about it and helping us out.

Keep up the good work and good luck!
I had the problem with freezer burn with two different brands. First with Nature's Variety, so I switched to Primal and got a batch of those freezer burned, too! I had already opened and separated the nuggets into baggies and even had some thawed out and still took it back to the store (baggies and all) and they took them back. The manufacturers have a pretty good return policy - the store employee told me they have a 100% guarantee and will take back anything, so I wouldn't hesitate to return that freezer burned food, even after 2 weeks. They'll take it back simply because your pet doesn't like it, she said.

The commercial raw was great for me at first. I would never have made the switch without it. But I have to say my cats are so much more enthusiastic about fresh raw meat than they ever were with the commercial raw, and so far it's just as convenient after all the prep work is done.

My girl, Mandy, also can't eat lamb. Same as Panther, she throws lamb and beef up right after she eats it. So, I'll just stay away from those meats. I figure, in the wild, a cat wouldn't likely eat a cow or a lamb anyway so why force it. I have enough other options! (Except that beef has really good taurine, but if she can't eat it, she can't eat it...)

It's definitely great to have this forum to turn to...I know I will inevitably have more questions, and no doubt someone here will have answers!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BrookeSphynx

Second, I started noticing some quality issues with the commercial food. More than once, I had to return $60 worth of food to the store because it was freezer burned. That really got me concerned and finally ready to dive in and tackle doing it myself.
Back when I used to buy commercial raw I also ended up with a couple of bags with freezer burn. I noticed though that they were close to their "sell by" date. I really didn't consider it a quality problem so much as a problem of low turn over at the place where I bought it. After that I just made sure I always checked the "sell by" date before I bought any.

Generally, the NV sell by date seems to about about 1 year after production. Not surprising that might be some freezer burn after 1 year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Back when I used to buy commercial raw I also ended up with a couple of bags with freezer burn. I noticed though that they were close to their "sell by" date. I really didn't consider it a quality problem so much as a problem of low turn over at the place where I bought it. After that I just made sure I always checked the "sell by" date before I bought any.

Generally, the NV sell by date seems to about about 1 year after production. Not surprising that might be some freezer burn after 1 year.
That's a really good point - my sell by date on the NV that was freezer burned was 1 month away. Never checked the dates on the Primal, but whenever I special ordered, it always came in very fresh. It was only when I bought flavors the store regularly stocked that I ever had any problem.

Holy cow, I'm surprised the sell by date is a whole year from production! No wonder it was freezer burned. Nothing in my freezer would last that long either!