Raw as a treat

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kind of things can be offered as a treat for canned-fed kitties? I'm particularly interested in dental-friendly things, I was told gizzards are good for that? 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gizzards are great, as are the two smaller pieces of a chicken wing, and cornish hen wings and neck. Once she's proficient at chewing, many offer chicken necks. Just make sure you limit the amount of treats to 15% or less of her total diet, and you don't need to worry about balancing the raw being offered as treats. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are chicken hearts ok to feed? Sometimes they are packaged with the gizzards. Or are they too rich? How often could I feed raw as a treat and be under the 15%?

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I previously asked about chicken hearts (because we have a Farmer's Market so I can buy as many or few as I want) and was told they are fine as treats.

Unfortunately neither of my cats think it is food! I may try again sometime, soaking them in tuna juice first, LOL.

I guess this is a good thing because they don't turn over the trash can or even beg food from me... cat food is, well, their food - and so far, nothing else.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken hearts would make a good treat. I'd guess one or two a couple of times a week. They have a lot of taurine. Chicken hearts weigh around 1/3 to 1/2 ounce. Sometimes there is some fat around the heart, you might want to trim that off, depending on your cat's weight.
BTW: chicken gizzards are okay to feed your cat. They are less nutritious but provide a good exercise for teeth in chewing. Some raw feeders will start their cats off with gizzards before moving on to bone.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
pinkie mice and rats

(ah, I'm always saying that, but I did get a fresh box of frozen critters in yesterday just in time to treat the Rogue
)