Raw and weight maintenance

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a 25 pound ragamuffin boy Wolfy.   Ragamuffins as a breed can be big sorta like maine coons.    He just turned 4 so is fully grown.   His appetite is insatiable he wolfs down his bowl then goes after the food our other cat is eating..   He is eating canned wellness right now.   I am concerned cause he is still putting on weight and really should be around 20 pounds.    I am thinking of switching him to raw and just wondering if it might help with the weight problem.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the nice things about homemade raw is that I can control ingredients, even down to bone and fat content.  I have a cat that could probably eat himself to death and he's 17-18 lbs.  He's just always going to be an opportunist with food so I have to watch dirty dishes that I put in the sink and NEVER leave food on counters (even tomatoes, crazy cat!). 

Because there's no fillers in my homemade raw, by the time Gadget goes to the other cats' bowls they're empty.  So I was able to trim his waistline a bit.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a scarfer that would gladly hoover up everyone's meals.  I've resorted to separating everyone at meal times.  Some get the bathrooms, some get a bedroom, dog eats outside, and scarf-boy gets the hallway.  It's the only way I can control his portions.... otherwise he would be a fatso, even on a raw diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses.   Its a double whammy with Wolfy because he so big and strong.   More than twice the size of the others.   He just bulldozes them out of the way and takes their food.   I`ll have to separate them.   Seems like the aggressive behavior over food is inherited.... his mom would jump on the table and attack our dinner plates - though she somehow managed to stay very svelte.  

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a siamese who was 17# when I started raw, he was actually on a weight loss/calorie controlled diet before and just kept gaining.  I switched him to raw and since the end of January he is down to 13# and almost where he should be.  It has been amazing for his health and his joints :)

ETA, I do have to feed him separately from my other cats otherwise he will finish his and then go push everyone else out of the way for their food, I have 6 cats, 2 get fed in one room, 2 in another and then 2 in individual rooms by themselves.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thats a great story and good to hear the Siamese has trimmed down on raw.     These aggressive eaters are something else.   Wolfy lets nothing stand between him a meal.   I am not sure if these tendencies can be modified - I think not - as it is a personality trait and seems to be passed down from their parents.