Raw and Cooked food

TortieCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So after few weeks of transitioning my two kitties to raw food, it seems like one if them doesn't tolerate raw too well. He doesn't eat it well (and he's still in the transition stage where I am mixing some raw with his canned food) and often he would throw up after eating. He eats canned food just fine. Last 3 days I tried lightly cooking the raw food for him (just few seconds in the microwave before serving), and it seems like he eats if better and is able to keep it down. I know cooking it in the microwave is probably not ideal but I wanted to see how he does with cooked food.

The other cat loves the raw food though and her breakfast is 2 oz of raw food (without mixing it with canned). Both cats get canned food for lunch and dinner.
I make their raw food using chicken thighs and Alnutrin with eggshell, and just yesterday made a batch with turkey thighs and Alnutrin with eggshell.

Now I'm not sure what's the best way to feed them so that one gets raw food and the other gets lightly cooked food. Do I need to make two different batches of food for them? Do I need to use a different completer instead of Alnutrin for the cooked food? Does anyone know of good recipes for cooked food? If cooking food, this means I can't use those 80/10/10 grinds because of the bone, right? I need some suggestions please how to make it work for two cats. And I am going to try adding digestive enzymes to his food and see if that helps.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey there,
I would make two separate batches. The batch for cooking must not contain any bones at all, as cooked bones are dangerous. So yes, 80/10/10 grinds are out for the cooked batches. You can lightly cook the plain muscle meat and then mix the Alnutrin in afterwards to make it balanced. Continuing to use Alnutrin w/ eggshell is fine though since eggshells aren't bone and the cooked food still needs the calcium.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ummm...organs????

Plain meat plus liver in a 90%/10% mix (or 95%/5% probably ok too), cook it or leave it raw as desired, add Alnutrin with calcium and fish oil.

Cooking is kind of a pain though, and leaving the food raw is kinda important - people call it "enzymes" but I think it has more to do with probiotics that exist in the raw meat but are destroyed with cooking. Did you try slowing down the transition with the cat that's not tolerating the raw food well? Give just tiny amounts and increase very slowly, revert back to the last amount if there's problems, and just give it time.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Adding liver was assumed, as that's part of the instructions on the Alnutrin site and is a mandatory ingredient.