Quick question for those who feed both wet and dry food

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to leave dry food out all the time, and wet twice a day, but can't do that with Tom - he is a scavenger and not allowed that much dry. So now, they get wet twice a day and dry for supper, and they all seem quite happy.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have pretty much free access to dry food, with wet offered 2-3 times a day. If I only had one or two cats, I'd measure and limit the amount of dry but it's not really realistic for me with the numbers I have so I just make sure to offer generous amounts of canned so everyone can eat pretty much as much as s/he wants. That way (hopefully) they'll be less interested in dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the answers. It seems most people free feed the dry and serve the wet at specific meal times. I can't free feed anything as my Jaffa is a greedy guts! (and at the moment I have one on kitten food and one on adult food anyway). Currently I feed the wet and dry separate but am thinking of mixing them - ie half a pouch wet morning and evening with some dried mixed in instead of a whole pouch in the evening and dry only in the morning. I add a bit extra water to the wet so I'm thinking I could get a bit more water into Jaffa that way. I might eventually end up reducing the amount of dry and feeding one pouch of wet morning and evening with just a little bit of dry for crunch. They always have a small meal of dry food late evening and I'm not going to mess with that.

Sar - how much wet/dry do yours get in a day (amounts, proportions)? And do you try to match up flavours or is that just me being silly?! For some reason I feel they wouldn't be impressed if I gave them beef flavour wet topped with fish flavour dry!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

Sar - how much wet/dry do yours get in a day (amounts, proportions)? And do you try to match up flavours or is that just me being silly?! For some reason I feel they wouldn't be impressed if I gave them beef flavour wet topped with fish flavour dry!
Between the three of them, they generally get between one to two big cans! Oh, I've never worried about matching flavours - makes their experience more exciting!

Molly will have fishy biscuits with any flavour of food!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Oh, I've never worried about matching flavours - makes their experience more exciting!
Very true! Mealtime is probably the highlight of the day in your house!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I open feed dry all day and wet feed at 7PM. The amount of wet food that each cat gets is related to their size - the hefty boys get less wet than the others.

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a bit late to this post but here goes. For breakfast, my girls get half a pouch of wet food each and half a small cup of dry food each. They get a further half pouch each for lunch and another half pouch for tea. At tea time, I also top up their dry food if they have eaten it all.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

Thanks for all the answers. It seems most people free feed the dry and serve the wet at specific meal times. I can't free feed anything as my Jaffa is a greedy guts! (and at the moment I have one on kitten food and one on adult food anyway). Currently I feed the wet and dry separate but am thinking of mixing them - ie half a pouch wet morning and evening with some dried mixed in instead of a whole pouch in the evening and dry only in the morning. I add a bit extra water to the wet so I'm thinking I could get a bit more water into Jaffa that way. I might eventually end up reducing the amount of dry and feeding one pouch of wet morning and evening with just a little bit of dry for crunch. They always have a small meal of dry food late evening and I'm not going to mess with that.

I personally believe it's better to feed canned and dry separately, not together, simply because when dry food gets wet it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria but if you're not leaving the food out for very long then it should not be harmful. I just think it's better not to mix them.