Question of the Day: Sunday, December 11

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:)
Wishing you all a happy Sunday! The third in Advent.
advent-wreath-3853594_1920.jpg

With only 2 weeks to go before Christmas Day, there must be a reason why my cell phone starts to die on me (battery problems?) and my computer practically slows down to a halt (old age?). And why Woolly Bear, who rarely bothers me while I'm typing, suddenly decides she wants to sit on the keyboard and nothing is going to stop her.

So, instead of peacefully writing letters and Christmas cards to all those people I've ignored for almost 12 months, I'm frantically trying to save addresses, phone numbers and anything else that may not be up there in the clouds when all my technical equipment decides to give up the ghost. I've been forced to send emergency telephone numbers to friends in case I'm needed - perhaps to feed ferals outside my normal schedule. Isn't life exciting? But, I know it wasn't always that complicated.

Looking back (almost 60 years) to the Saturdays before Christmas in the London suburbs, when the streets, markets and shops were so crowded, one could hardly move. But there was no pushing or shoving. I cannot say that people were particularly happy but they were peaceful and very-well mannered. When we children had purchased all the necessities my mother had put on our shopping list, we would go into Woolworth's and choose one small decoration to put on the Christmas tree: just one item - not a pack of 6. The Salvation Army would be singing Christmas carols on some street corner and there would be collecting boxes for various charities: Guide Dogs for the Blind and Dr Barnado's Children's Homes are two I can well remember donating our last pennies to before catching an overcrowded bus to take us home. We had no expectations of expensive presents - one "big" present - an item of clothing for the older children and a toy for the smaller ones. The presents we gave each other were either handmade or bought with money earned doing neighbours' shopping or other chores. There were toothbrushes, combs and hairbrushes hanging as presents on the tree - much to our disgust! :)

I know that life is better today - we have more money, more choices and better health. But, I now hate shopping before Christmas. The crowds are smaller but hectic, loud and pushing. Young children looking at the toys are no longer wide-eyed with excitement - they've seen it all before on television. They have been given so much choice they are overwhelmed - how can they make a decision when really they like everything they see? The loud music coming from every corner, the various "aromas" from food stalls, heavily perfumed females, and sweaty young men are enough to send me back to my car and escape in the long traffic jam back to my own 4 walls and .... the Internet!
At a local supermarket here in a small town in Germany, there is a large Christmas tree with postcards written by (or on behalf of) children in a local home. It is heartbreaking to see what these children are asking for at Christmas. An 18-year-old boy wants a particular cookbook, and a thirteen-year-old girl is asking for a game more suitable to an 8 year-old. My daughter and I picked up these two particular requests and are making up 2 Christmas parcels - not just with the requested items. No sweets are allowed in the parcels but there are plenty of items which could make these 2 young people feel a bit better.

Where is the "peace and goodwill" which used to be so important at Christmas time? I don't mean more religion at Christmas - just more humanity!

Is it just me getting old, or have we lost something very important in the Christmas rush and overkill?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it just me getting old, or have we lost something very important in the Christmas rush and overkill?
~ Anyone over 50y/o who pays attention can see the massive commercialization of holidays in America. It used to be much more subtle with emphasis on family, friends and "goodwill ". Not today .. ! Now it's "buy this for someone and be "liked" — get this item now to "keep the spirit" of holiday ... etc.
As always Holidays are another marketing opportunity — but today it's obvious that is the only intention of merchants. The spirit of the holiday is gone.
Unfortunately it's not just you .

Old Coca~Cola Christmas ads​
s-l400.jpg
tumblr_mwmfnoo9is1s4c1kfo2_r1_640.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think it's you getting old, or that it's something that's just happened, as A Charlie Brown Christmas, which came out in 1965, was all about the commercialization of Christmas. So the sentiment has been around since at least then.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not you; and yes, we have truly lost the meaning- and the reason- for Christmas. It used to be that no Christmas ads appeared until after Thanksgiving, but now? I have seen them as early as September. It is all about the 'gimmees', and, quite frankly, it makes me want to turn into Ebenezer Scrooge. I hate shopping anyway, and especially so at this time of year. Bah, humbug!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have two words to describe what's happened to the holidays, not only Christmas. It's "social media." Whether Facebook (Meta), Instagram, Tik Tok, Twitter, etc. or Apps. People are constantly on their devices. Instead of making a phone call and actually talking to someone people text. There isn't the need for face-to-face contact, or is there? I still check on our neighbors who are elderly and regularly call friends who have been going through health related issues. Sorry, I'm getting off topic now but my point is Christmas is supposed to be about giving not receiving.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think for a lot of millennials who truly enjoy the holiday, the commercialization doesn't bother us because it's not only something we grew up with, but to us it's more than gifts and what other people think of it isn't important. I'm not a religious person, so my reasoning for celebrating Christmas is more in line with it's Pagan origins (my sister is Wiccan) as a means to celebrate winter, but I love to decorate and I love Christmas lights and seeing them on other people's houses.

As a teenager, my family was one of the families being "adopted" for the holidays because my parents didn't have a lot of money due to filing bankruptcy because of my brother's medical bills (America, am I right? :rolleyes3:). I've wanted to adopt a family myself, but haven't had the financial means to do so. Hopefully I can do that in the next few years especially because I love giving gifts (and making them too).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I worked for Hallmark during college. Christmas starts in July there. :crazy: June really.

Christmas has always been primarily a religious holiday for my family but it was always a family time with traditions too. It was harder when I was the one working retail and dealing with cranky shoppers. The mall today didn’t seem bad at all. We only went to pick up DS’s new glasses though. I think online shopping has helped. I like giving gifts but the temptation to go overboard is there too. “Get it while it’s on sale!!” We still have our charity and community projects and contributions. And thankfully the church we are attending has a good year-round community focus; so it helps things seem unforced too.

I think the last several years have just been a culimnation of increasing stress and pressure. And that hasn’t brought out the best in people at all. We get some good but gosh you can feel the tension in some places that we didn’t seem to have when I was younger.

What I miss personally is the excitement over Christmas cards. Every year I say that next year I’m sending less because I get so few back by comparison. Not that I give to get; but I question if it’s appreciated. But I do enjoy them. Especially being at an age where so many friends are doing photo cards with their kids. I keep those on my fridge to look at all year. And when the next years come in I replace it and see how much they’ve grown and changed. When I was growing up we decorated the walls with cards that came in. Its a sad tradition to see diminish even if I also see people on social media more. I love finding old cards with my grandparents handwriting and little personal notes inside. Sometimes I’m overwhelmed with my own to-do list so I understand giving up sending them; but at the same time I miss what it was.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's not you; and yes, we have truly lost the meaning- and the reason- for Christmas. It used to be that no Christmas ads appeared until after Thanksgiving, but now? I have seen them as early as September. It is all about the 'gimmees', and, quite frankly, it makes me want to turn into Ebenezer Scrooge. I hate shopping anyway, and especially so at this time of year. Bah, humbug!
~ Anyone over 50y/o who pays attention can see the massive commercialization of holidays in America. It used to be much more subtle with emphasis on family, friends and "goodwill ". Not today .. ! Now it's "buy this for someone and be "liked" — get this item now to "keep the spirit" of holiday ... etc.
As always Holidays are another marketing opportunity — but today it's obvious that is the only intention of merchants. The spirit of the holiday is gone.
Unfortunately it's not just you .

Old Coca~Cola Christmas ads​
View attachment 438613
View attachment 438614
I'm almost 40, so my IMO might be based on nostalgia and nothing more. When I was growing up in the late 80s and early 90s, we watched Charlie Browns Christmas and Garfield's Christmas special every single year and even the commercials they ran during those shows seemed special. (Remember Ronald McDonald teaching the lonely kid how to skate, or convincing the little girl who was about to run away she was really needed at home?) Now, the TV drives me insane. You can't play an ad for a cell phone and photoshop a santa hat on it and make it more "Christmasy" or "Special". There's nothing wrong with stores turning a profit during the holiday season but now it's almost obscene. It feels cheapened, and fake. I consider my generation the "in betweeners" between the way it used to be and the way it is now, and am glad I got to grow up when I did. I agree, N NY cat man and JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia , it's not just you.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
For me it is still based on the birth of Christ Jesus. I am so tired of any holiday being started and worn out in the stores, Valentines stuff is coming out in some places. I miss close relationships with family as mine is as dysfunctional as can be.
It's not just Christmas that has lost that wide eyed wonder, anticipation and excitement, it's some of the downsides of technology! You can watch what you want when you want, nothing to look forward to. I miss the Christmas displays in store windows. I haven't seen a bell ringer in a few years. MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I'm with you, growing up I always enjoyed the beautiful array of Christmas cards that came to our house and hung up. My list has dwindled to 2 people.