Question of the Day, Saturday, February 17

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

Would you buy and live in a house that somebody died in?

I don't think I could, esp if somebody was murdered in the house. Dying of natural causes is one thing, but if somebody was murdered, no.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natural causes yes. Probably many people who have bought an old home could very well be living in a home that someone died in.

I don't know about a home that someone was murdered in. I am a skeptic about the paranormal but I am not someone that discounts all of it. Someone being murdered could leave behind some things that I wouldn't want to deal with.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. It really depends on who and why someone was murdered. I mean, if they were murdered because it's in a bad neighborhood, then no. I mean, what's to stop the murderer from coming back to look for hidden drugs or something that caused the murder to begin with? But if it were...say...a psycho husband that snapped and he's put away for life, then I probably would.
I do not believe in ghosts the way most people do.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just watched an episode of House Hunters on HGTV the other day that dealt with this same exact subject. I think I'd feel better if I didn't know what happened in the house. In other words, don't ask, don't tell. I agree many older homes may have had someone who died in it. But if I really liked the house and the neighborhood I'd probably buy it.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would...and negotiate a good deal on it too! If it was a murder, I would for sure ask questions so I know the circumstances surrounding the murder...to make sure it's safe.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the location. If I liked the house, and the surrounding area, then no problem; but if not, then no way.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In CA, the death of an owner/resident at home has to be disclosed when the house is sold. That stays in effect for three years. However, if the buyer asks if anyone ever died in the house, it is supposed to be disclosed. There are only a few states with this law. It would not bother me in the least if someone died in the house, if that was the house that I wanted.

When I sold my dad's house (mom had died years earlier) about 50% of the people who looked at it asked me to my face if my parents had died in the house.

I do agree with asking for circumstances of a violent death though in case there are other ramifications like someone coming back for any reason to continue whatever caused the death. I once looked at a house where the owners would not allow a sign to be posted and when I met them I definitely picked up a vibe that they were moving to get away from something.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would unless it’s was something newsworthy that might still draw people to it like a tourist attraction. In that case I think it’s better if it’s torn down. Just like some of the places where violent protests or mass crimes have occurred.

If its an old house, something historic, then id expect that goes with the territory. In fact those are honorable to preserve in my opinion; so I would maintain the character and history of the place as best as possible. My mom and stepdad were able to visit a historic site near Nashville where you could go inside and still see all the holes left in a barn from a Civil War battle. Preserving history with the ugly side is good and necessary. Its kind of up to people willing to make places home sometimes.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I grew up in a very old house and have lived in other old houses, and it was always assumed that someone, at some point, died there. It never bothered me.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In CA, the death of an owner/resident at home has to be disclosed when the house is sold. That stays in effect for three years. However, if the buyer asks if anyone ever died in the house, it is supposed to be disclosed. There are only a few states with this law. It would not bother me in the least if someone died in the house, if that was the house that I wanted.

When I sold my dad's house (mom had died years earlier) about 50% of the people who looked at it asked me to my face if my parents had died in the house.

I do agree with asking for circumstances of a violent death though in case there are other ramifications like someone coming back for any reason to continue whatever caused the death. I once looked at a house where the owners would not allow a sign to be posted and when I met them I definitely picked up a vibe that they were moving to get away from something.
That is creepy.
There was a murder a few miles away from my house a few years ago. Husband killed his wife. I couldn't live in that house for anything given the senselessness of it all.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the house I was raised in,one of the previous owners years before had passed away .Supposedly he worked for the railroad and his pocket watch had radium or something on the hands.... he wore it in one of those pockets you see in old movies,and I believe the story was that he died from liver cancer.I don't guess anyone ever gave it much of a thought.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
The hardy “can do” part of me would be battling it out with my overactive imagination. I might be ripping up the floorboards and putting in new ones, or giving the house some kind of ritual ‘cleanse.’ If a house can have spooky karma it can also have good karma— I might seek out the victim’s family and offer them a freshly baked apple pie in sympathy. If it were the only house I could ever afford, I’d welcome it with open arms.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I guess it would depend on a lot of factors. I said before I bought my own house that I would hire a medium and have them walk through the house to see if there's any bad juju on the property. I didn't actually do that with my house, but I didn't get a bad vibe when I first saw it and I haven't had any creepy incidents happen while I've lived here (outside of the actual crime occurring around here).

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess maybe if it was a recent murder I would be hesitant. But not died of natural causes.
We lived in a house once that I'm pretty sure had a resident ghost. Never bothered any of us.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If someone was murdered it would depend on how, if I had any feelings or sensed anything when viewing the home and also depending on price and location.
A house where someone died of natural causes yup I could no problem. My current apartment had someone die of natural causes. The previous tenants also had their mother die but she was in a hospital ant her time of death and for the first few months to a year of me living here I would see an apparition of an older lady and a distinct perfume smell. She never bothered me but my husband was spooked. The old tenant and I became friends somehow and I asked if she ever saw the lady and she didn’t. Upon having me describe her and mention the perfume type she claimed it was her Mom. She even showed me a photos of her and sure enough it was her. I haven’t seen the apparition since the time she appeared and I calmly called her by name and told her her daughter moved.