Question of the Day - Monday, January 29, 2024

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am posting this at my bedtime in hopes it's better than posting at my Monday night bedtime. It's technically Monday for half the world I think. :lol:

What color would you choose for your dream house exterior?

I'm torn between a red and a blue-gray. There is a cute little cottage/cabiny looking house by our old house that just looks so cute in red siding. It's darker than barn red, nice and rustic. But I don't know if I would love it for decades if that makes sense. Or on my dream style. I think a blue-gray with navy shutters and white trim would be more classic and timeless. Something lighter might be more energy efficient in the summer though.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really love the look of navy blue as a house exterior. My house has fairly new siding (that is red) so it's unlikely that I'd ever switch to navy, but maybe someday. My next door neighbor also has a red house and a lot of people who don't visit my house a lot get confused.

Here's an example of the color I'm talking about.
1706545282500.jpeg

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't really care, I'd be more intested in the layout inside the house, where it was located, what was around it than what color it was.

One of the reasons we chose this house is that there is a little creek out back. It was a new neighborhood, so we figured they probably wouldn't be building any houses right behind ours. And we've been here around 25 years, and they haven't. Its just trees and the little creek. It was lightgrey when we moved in and the only in the neighborhood. Had it repainted a couple times, the same color. I like it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It depends, if the house has siding I'd pick a taupe or gray shade. If it's cedar, brick or logs I would leave it original and never paint.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great question. White brick. Probably with dark gray shutters and a black roof. The roof and the shutters are negotiable in color. But I really think white brick is pretty.

I haven't varied much from the home I live in, except it is white siding. With dark gray shutters and a black roof. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends, if the house has siding I'd pick a taupe or gray shade. If it's cedar, brick or logs I would leave it original and never paint.
I do not care for painted brick but occasionally do see it done where it looks good. Sometimes it does get dated. Rarely do I like painted logs or cedar! The house DH and I looked at was cedar that needed some tlc maintenance. The people that did buy it painted it blue. :cringe:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I do not care for painted brick but occasionally do see it done where it looks good.
When I was young and my parents were looking for a house I remember my dad saying brick should not be painted but I didn't know why. As an adult when we were buying our own house I learned the reason why. It's because one of the main drawbacks is moisture retention. Paint traps moisture in the bricks which can lead to long-term damage like spalling or mold growth. It's even worse for homes in areas with high humidity or frequent rain.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If we are talking about a dream home I would want a modern home with a lot of glass. For a more traditional home the blue/gray with some type of dark trim. I like dark red but it is bad about sun fading.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
whatever light colored non wood exterior that best reflects the heat during summer but keeps it warm inside during winter
Probably something “native”. My friends mom moved to Arizona and had her house painted a bright color compared to all the muted desert tones in the neighborhood. I hope it wasn’t a regrettable decision! It looked pretty though!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would like a dark brown or forest green. But it would sort of depend on the house. The house would be another Mid Century Modern but bigger than my current.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like a medium gray best, it depends on the house.

But my parents "accidentally" (it looked lighter on the sample card!) painted their house bright yellow and it's just so cheerful compared to the rest of the neighborhood.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on where I would be located - I’d love either a modern eco friendly glass house in the countryside or a classic Kentish clapperboard house by the beach. In the city I’m not sure.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Our house is a dark gray in front and lighter gray on the sides with white trim and turquoise doors. I'm good with it.