Question of the Day, Friday, 22 March, 2024

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Weekend!!

Have you ever had your own business? Would you want to?

I have always wanted a little coffee shop that also serves sweet treats☕

what about you?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes i had a pool cleaning business before my stroke i loved being my own boss .setting my own routes having lunch and making a few casts at the local lakes i fished at before getting on the road again to finnish working.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, and when I saw the paperwork headaches of my employers, I lost any interest in it. Between county, state and federal agencies, because I usually worked for small companies, without a staff to fall back on, it seemed that they spent more time satisfying government drones than they did doing actual work.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yea, not for me, either, but my dad had one for like 35 years before he decided to sell it and retire. It is still open today! I will tell you, you don't get rich off of being self-employed (especially basic retail). I remember how we struggled when I was little...not really having a whole lot..no new cars...no spring break trips to Florida or Mexico, no large wardrobes....no big houses. In the mid-later 90s (after I was gone and out of the house), the business really started to take off. People came from all over to go to his store because customer service and prices in regular stores were outrageous. I should mention he specialized in shoes...more work boots, cowboy boots, etc. And, he also advertised as discount. He went old-school with the customer service....measuring feet, throwing in free socks or a shoe horn...and people really like that service and free stuff. So, people drove from all over for that.

But, that's not for me. I did law-enforcement and on-air radio until I became a stay at home mom. I admire those that can be self-employed. It's not cakewalk.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't call it a business. I did train horses and got paid. Also bred miniature horses for around 20 years, sold the babies and trained others to cart, but it was more of a hobby. Although they were double registered. - Don't want you thinking it was a 'puppy mill' type situation.
I had a 'real' job in finance.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would have loved to have had a B & B, where I could make all kinds of decadent breakfasts for visitors.
You would have been perfect as a B&B owner. I would have definitely come for a stay and enjoyed tasting your delicious fare. :yummy:

No small business for me. Actually before kids I worked for a large corporation and after kids I put my teaching degree to good use.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had my own business. I wouldn't ever want my own business if that was my only source of income. I plan on selling my pottery at some point, but I definitely won't leave my full-time job to do pottery full time even if it does well. The stress of relying on my motivation to be creativity would be too much.

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want my own library/ vet clinic. It would be pay with what you can. Like, you could work for me even just for a week to pay your bill if you didn’t have money, or pay with food or books or clothes or whatever.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you count the time DH and I got caught up in a bit of a MLM scheme… Now I feel like I can sniff those out a mile away and I’ll sprinkle you with holy water if you should try to come near me with that mess. :headshake::nono::bat:

I like the idea of a little breakfast and lunch cafe. I wouldn’t have a huge menu; but offer some variety in what I do have. Like choosing what you can add to your pancakes or omelettes. Then some delicious breads and baked good. Lunch would be soups and sandwiches. Everything would be homemade if possible. Even the breads.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't call it a business. I did train horses and got paid. Also bred miniature horses for around 20 years, sold the babies and trained others to cart, but it was more of a hobby. Although they were double registered. - Don't want you thinking it was a 'puppy mill' type situation.
I had a 'real' job in finance.
Something like this I would do. Not with horses I like in the city but I have thought about walking a few dogs when I retire. It would be a way to get some exercise, get out of the house, maybe meet some new people and make a little pocket money.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something like this I would do. Not with horses I like in the city but I have thought about walking a few dogs when I retire. It would be a way to get some exercise, get out of the house, maybe meet some new people and make a little pocket money.
I had a cat sitter who was doing that as her retirement gig. She also walked some kids home from the bus stop. I think they only needed her for a little bit; not enough to justify an after school program. She stopped when her parents started having health issues and needed her available.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, never, nor ever wanted to. For one thing, there aren't any jobs or businesses that interest me enough, and dealing with the paperwork and tax and stress of having no other support is not for me.