Question about weight of young cats

starrymoongrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby boy, Mr.Gray, seems a little on the skinny side to me and I was wondering if anyone knew what a good, healthy weight for a 9 month old kitten/cat is. His brother and littermate Jacques is a healthy eater, as active as an indoor cat can get, and he weighs about 10 pounds. He's not fat at all, just very compact and getting pretty muscular. Mr.Gray is also pretty active (their favorite game is tearing around the house like little Nascar racers to see who can get back to the bedroom the fastest LOL ) but he eats about half as much as Jacques does and feels bony, weighing 7 pounds.
I wouldn't be worried if I felt some muscle on him but he doesn't seem like hes just lean. If anyone has any experience or knowledge on this subject please let me know what you think!

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has he been check out by a vet, for parasites in particular? This may be normal for him he may be the "gangley teenager" type and will fill out as he matures, but I would rule out parasites first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starrymoongrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well he was on the right weight track for a while and then he got sick and lost 2 pounds. We took him to the vet and they said he had the cat version of strep throat so they gave us medicine for him and he got better. But its been a while since then, at least 2 months and he hasn't gained it back so I'll take him in to the vet again and see! Thank you for replying!

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sneaky Pie is almost 4 years old, and is 12 or so pounds. The family has been calling her "round cat", she's shaped more like Pewter than Sneaky Pie lol. One of my neighbors asked if she was going to have kittens, which is impossible since she was "fixed" when she was 6 months old. Seriously though, the vet has never said she has a weight problem, I don't agree with that.
We do free feed her, but that's because we have another cat as well. Mistoflees is almost 13, and he's big but kind of skinny (would that be because of his age?). When he eats, he doesn't eat everything, so Sneaky comes by and eats out of his bowl. <sigh>. Doesn't help that when my kids feed her they give her WAY too much food.
And what am I supposed to do when this kitty is meowing at the top of her lungs, pacing the kitchen with the "I'm hungry" look?

vegansoprano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think if he's acting fine and parasite free, there is no reason to worry. Kittens literally stop growing when they are sick and if he's hit a growth spurt length-wise since then, he might take a while to fill out again. It sounds to me like he is doing well.