Quality Food vs Potty Box Quantity

travel dude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have heard in the past that the better quality in cat food equals less stool in the potty box. Is there any truth to this? Here is my deal:
I have been feeding my three almost nine month olds, the same quality dry kitten food since we adopted when they were 11 weeks old. At first they ate a lot of food and filled the potty box with a lot of poop for me to collect. Now, they are older, they are eating, but not as much as they used to. Therefore, there is less poop in the box.

Is this normal? I figured that since they are growing/have grown into there adult bodies, they require less food.

Thanks in advance.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes that's normal. More input equals more output, same as people. You can't poo what wasn't there to begin with. 😺

Cats need less once they aren't growing and less again once they are less active.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is true that the less they consume, the less they will excrete. But my question to you is, did they cut down on their food themselves (leave excess food in their bowls), or did you cut down on their food? At nine months old, they are still considered kittens. Most kittens are still growing until age one, and some take even longer, so need to have as much food as they will eat in order to grow strong and healthy.

Another truth that I can certainly attest to is that if you feed what some consider the highest quality food for a cat, since they are obligate carnivores, they might not poop even once a day. When my cats were on a raw diet, they only pooped about once every 2 - 3 days, and their stool was teeny, tiny. I knew not to worry though because that is how it normally is on that type of diet. That being said, A high quality wet food will probably produce less stool than dry food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

travel dude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response. They have been free fed their entire lives. Plenty of food in the bowl and water in the fountain at all times. They just starting to gradually eat less as they got older. The plan is to keep them on kitten food until at least age one. Then gradually switch to an adult version of the same brand and flavor.

It is true that the less they consume, the less they will excrete. But my question to you is, did they cut down on their food themselves (leave excess food in their bowls), or did you cut down on their food? At nine months old, they are still considered kittens. Most kittens are still growing until age one, and some take even longer, so need to have as much food as they will eat in order to grow strong and healthy.

Another truth that I can certainly attest to is that if you feed what some consider the highest quality food for a cat, since they are obligate carnivores, they might not poop even once a day. When my cats were on a raw diet, they only pooped about once every 2 - 3 days, and their stool was teeny, tiny. I knew not to worry though because that is how it normally is on that type of diet. That being said, A high quality wet food will probably produce less stool than dry food.