Putting Vaseline on surgical incision?

Auzora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys.

My cat had surgery almost a week ago to remove a couple of mast cell tumors. He ended up pulling a single stitch out a couple of days ago. The vet recommended putting Polyporin or Vaseline on it to help the wound stay moist while it healed, since she deemed it unnecessary to put another stitch back in (the open part is only about a centimeter). I did some research and it seemed like Vaseline is safer than Polysporin. But when I went to go buy some, I noticed it says right on the container "Not intended for use on wounds". So I did some research on that, and I keep seeing people say not to use it on open wounds.

Now I don't really know what to do. I know how long it can take wounds to heal if they're dry, but I also don't want to put this stuff on my boy if it's going to do more harm than good. So has anyone else used Vaseline on open wounds on their pets before?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the difference is that it is a week old small incision that is already healing. It isn't a fresh open wound with delicate, bleeding tissue. I am sure either one would be fine but I wouldn't even bother if the cat can just lick it right off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Auzora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the difference is that it is a week old small incision that is already healing. It isn't a fresh open wound with delicate, bleeding tissue. I am sure either one would be fine but I wouldn't even bother if the cat can just lick it right off.
I don't *think* it's fresh with delicate tissue, but I'm not sure. It looked pretty fresh yesterday but today it looks a bit better. There's no active bleeding, just a tiny amount of typical wound seepage. He wouldn't be able to lick it off if I put some on. I got him an e collar.

Auzora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I misread your reply lol sorry. I thought you were asking if it was fresh and bleeding. I see what you mean about it not being a fresh wound.

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean fresh as in just having happened. But a week old it should be in its way to healing a bit no? That's great you got the e-collar. If you are worried I don't think it is a big deal if you don't use it. My point is that I am sure it is fine on a week old wound, esp recommended by the vet/clinic who did the surgery.

Auzora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think we replied at the same time :)
Lol looks like it! You make good points. Thanks :) Do you think it's necessary to clean the part that's missing the stitch? It's not dirty in the sense of dirt or fur, it just has a bit of crustiness around and by the entrance to the wound from that seepage I mentioned. I gently wipe away as much as I can with a damp cloth, but I'm wondering if I should be running it under water to get it properly clean since I can't get all the crusty stuff off.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are doing just fine, don't run it under water. When did the vet want you to come back for a recheck?

Auzora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay great. And she never asked me to bring him back for a recheck. She hasn't for any surgeries my cats have needed. That's my only qualm about her; she's great otherwise. My previous vet always wanted set up rechecks. I should ask her why she doesn't request them when I see her next.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most don't need them and many people get irritated about requiring them. It also may depend on the severity of the surgery. A small lump removal, spay, neuter, dental usually is fine. I would hope like an amputation or major dental extractions/infection, things like that require a recheck.

Auzora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh really? I thought they were a common thing for all surgeries lol. I can't imagine why people would be annoyed by a vet asking for a recheck. I love my cats and get so worried when health issues arise, so rechecks help ease worry about the surgery not healing well or properly. Some of my cats have had major dental surgery (lots of extractions), some of them with the old vet and some with the new. The new vet didn't ask for a recheck then either. Strange.