Problems with the Tasin Grinder

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I apparently put the end piece, the one you screw on, wrong. It's stuck now. How do I get it unscrewed?! I've been trying on and off for hours. I put it down and come back and try again and it's still stuck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't have one. ): I have tried hammering a flathead into the gap there to loosen it, and have also tried loosing it with lubricant. No luck.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your bet if you don't want to damage it is the rubber mallet peaches08 suggested. Since you don't have one, do you have a regular hammer? You could wrap a towel around the head. Sharply hit one of the "fins" that sticks out.

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It must be really stuck. Is there a brawny male available to have a go at it???

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd keep at it with the hammer. Don't tap. Hit it like you're trying to drive the head through the fin.

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Should I hit from the back, where the center twisty part comes through the hole? Or hit the front gear?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is the outer finned screw cap that is stuck on the body, the tap straight down on the fin as if you were trying to hit the counter top if you missed. Strike towards the side of the cap at a perfect 90 on a fin.

Last edited:

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugggh, still stuck. The upside, though, is that I realized my Vitamix can grind meat (albeit at a weird consistency), so at least I can still feed the babes.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any butchers near you? It's worth a few phone calls and ask for help.

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about calling Tasin?  I would think someone at the manufacturer could help - you can't be the first that's done this.

lehighluke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we are talking about the Collar that holds the grinding die, blades, and auger in place?....Is it cross-threaded?...ie did you start to put it on crooked, and then got it stuck?

What you need is a vice and a big wrench.  Do you know anyone who has tools?...and friends with husbands, etc?  Sorry to be sexist.

Like others have said, you can take a hammer, and use a screw driver (ill advised) or a piece of wood or something the right size, and prop it on the fins of the collar, and hammer the wood to effectively turn the collar off...it will go, you just need concentrated torque.

Or secure the collar in a vise (if you dont have one, maybe a door jamb, or drawer, or something that will pinch it tight...and turn the body...you'll have more leverage on the larger body piece.  best advice is to call a dude, neighbor, or someone mechanically inclined to help 

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Thanks for the advice!  Sorry I've been late in replying. I have a lot of things going on right now. Still haven't been able to get it off. I don't have a vice, but I need to get someone stronger than me to come over and do it, probably. It doesn't help that I have a bum left wrist, so it's hard to hold it in place and use my right hand to twist it off, haha. I've been using my Vitamix to make the food, but I really do prefer the grinder, and honestly, the kitties prefer the texture of it, too.

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: My landlord's brother used his shiny tools. It now smells terrible, but is finally fixed! Yay!