Probiotics to get gut back to normal after antibiotic use?

bethany5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat has had to go through a couple rounds of antibiotics in the past several months, and is just about to go through another round. I know for humans, doctors always recommend a broad spectrum probiotic during and after antibiotic use, because the antibiotics can deplete the good bacteria of the gut as well. However, I haven't heard of a broad spectrum probiotic for cats to use during and after antibiotic use, and I am thinking it is probably a good idea to get one. My cat already gets Fortiflora, but that is only a single strain. Does anyone have any multi strain probiotic recommendations? Preferably something that is a delicious powder like Fortiflora, cuz my cat is impossible to pill (she is semi-feral, I am pretty experienced at pilling cats, she is impossible and I am not going to attempt to do it anymore so no need to give any recommendations on that haha) and she typically won't eat any treats unless they are a liquid treat, but I somehow doubt a good liquid treat containing a multi strain of probiotics is out there.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is definitely a good idea to give probiotics when a cat is on antibiotics, waiting a couple hours between dosing though. Lots of people use Nexabiotic. I think most people simply open up the capsule and mix it with their cat's food. If you do this, I would suggest starting with maybe 1/4 or 1/2 capsule then work your way up, or split it between a couple of meals. Of course, you can still use the FortiFlora since it's just a single strain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bethany5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is definitely a good idea to give probiotics when a cat is on antibiotics, waiting a couple hours between dosing though. Lots of people use Nexabiotic. I think most people simply open up the capsule and mix it with their cat's food. If you do this, I would suggest starting with maybe 1/4 or 1/2 capsule then work your way up, or split it between a couple of meals. Of course, you can still use the FortiFlora since it's just a single strain.
Just looked up Nexabiotic- it has 23 different strains, wow! Thank you for the suggestion :)