Princess Sarah

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, everyone! My name is Sarah, and I'd like to tell you a bit about myself. I am an orange and white cat, with green eyes and medium-length hair. I recently celebrated my 18th birthday on May 23. Since my human mother does not speak feline, I cannot tell her my real birthday. So she went back three months from the day she took me in (August 23, 1998), and uses that date as my birthday.

Like Miss Zander, my life did not start out well. I was an unwanted kitten, and was dumped at a local Catholic church in Southern California, around the corner from where my future meowmy lived. I was driven to the church, the car door opened, I was thrown out, the door closed, and the car drove away.

I was so scared. I was a baby. I didn't know what to do. I was also skinny and hungry. I started walking around the big church grounds. A man at the church later told my meowmy that afternoon that he had seen me dumped. He was a member of the Men's Ministry, and had come in early to prepare for the barbecue that was being held that day after Saturday mass. He went to the market to buy me food, and gave that and water to me on the patio, so I'd have some shade from the summer heat. He also gave me a towel to lie on.

Meanwhile, at home, my meowmy, who I will call "Mother" from here on, was debating whether to go to Saturday evening mass, or Sunday morning mass. She later told her priest that she heard a voice telling her to go to Saturday mass. The priest later said that was either her guardian angel or the Holy Spirit speaking.

So she went to Saturday mass. During the barbecue, I was going from table to table, begging for food, and for a home. I didn't want to go to some place called a pound.

But no one wanted me. Everyone said I was cute, with my big bat ears, but had excuses for not taking me. Finally, a woman with a German accent picked me up, handed me to Mother, and said, "Take her. She will be a wonderful companion for you."

Mother later said no one knew who this woman was, and she was never seen again. I know she was my guardian angel.

So mother carried me to her landlord's house, and asked if she could keep me. She offered a pet deposit, which he declined. He allowed Mother to keep me, but I had to be an indoor cat because she and her landlord lived on a busy street, and he didn't want me to get hit by a car.

I had a home!

It turned out Mother had another orange cat named Natalie. She was rescued from a feral colony when she was a kitten. Mother named her "Natalie" because it means "Christmas child," and she was born in early December. She had several nicknames -- The Nat, Nattles, Natalia and Natty. She was two when I met her. She crossed the Rainbow Bridge when she was 22.

I was given a bath, fed, and shown where the litterbox was. Natalie was spayed, but treated me as her baby, and started grooming me after my bath. I snuggled with her in her bed during the day, but slept with Mother at night. Nat did also.

Mother gave me the nickname "Batwoman" because of my big ears. She didn't want to call me "Bat Girl" because it sounded too much like "Bad Girl."

A few days later, Mother took me to the veterinarian, which I didn't like. I was examined, given shots, and had blood taken out for tests. But Mother told me I needed all that to stay well.

Now about my name. Mother wanted to name me after a famous redhead, and went through her baby name book. She finally settled on Sarah, after The Duchess of York, and later gave me Elizabeth as a middle name, after Queen Elizabeth.

Sarah means "princess," or "princess of God," and Mother later started calling me "princess" as a nickname. I was also called "Sarita," which is my name in Spanish. Mother later gave me a royal title -- Her Royal Highness Princess Sarah Elizabeth. She still calls me "Your Highness" or "Her Highness."

I grew out of my awkward stage and into my bat ears. My right legs are white, and my left legs are orange with white socks. Mother says my right front leg looks like I have a long glove on, like Jackie Kennedy wore at formal White House dinners. Mother's mother called me "two-toned."

More of my life in Part 2.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do, but a lot of our things are in storage right now, so they are not easy to get to.

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, Sarah here to continue my story. Mother had some business to take care of, so she wasn't available to write for her.

I grew up, loving my new home, Natalie, and Mother. When I was 11months old, I had my first and only heat, since I was spayed a short time later.

I suddenly developed an interest in boys, and Mother was horrified to see me "struttin' my stuff" on the window sill, in front of an audience of seven boys sitting outside, and watching me. One went so far as to meow and scratch at the front door, asking Mother when she opened it if he and his friends could come in, and play with me. The answer was an emphatic "No."

Mother found out where the boys lived, and talked to their meowmies about the importance of neutering, and keeping them inside so they wouldn't get hit by cars on our busy street. I overheard Mother saying a few weeks later that all the boys were now neutered, and now indoor cats. So much for male attention!

My vet told Mother the day after I was spayed that I was in a grumpy mood. Yes, I was! I hurt, and hissed at Mother when she came to pick me up. She was surprised, because I had never done that before.

Mother is being interrupted, so I have to stop for now. Part Three when I return.

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am back. This is Part 3 of my story. I noticed a typo in my last post. I meant to say Mother wasn't available to write for me.

Okay, continuing on.

About a month after I was spayed, Mother and I moved to Las Vegas. Her mother had lost her cat, so she took Natalie. I would not see her again for three years.

Las Vegas is 280 miles (451 km) from our home -- a 4-1/2-hour drive. Mother and I slept during the day, and then left at night. It was late summer, which meant temperatures could be as high as 110 degrees (44 degrees Celsius) during the day, and just too hard on our car.

The desert can be extremely unforgiving, and no one wants to be on the side of the road with an overheated car. There are long stretches of road where there is absolutely nothing, and it will take a long time for assistance to arrive. It is recommended that people carry at least 20 gallons (76 litres) of water and plenty of anti-freeze (coolant) in their cars during the summer.

Mother had trained me from the day she took me in to be comfortable in my carrier. To me, it was an extra bedroom. Natalie hated being in her carrier, which is another reason why she went to live with our grandma. The long drive would have been too stressful for all three of us.

Mother put me on the front seat, buckled me in, and after stopping at a local Christian bookstore for some purchases, we were on our way. I meowed for a few minutes, and Mother spoke to me, then the motion of the car put me to sleep.

Intermission. I'll be back.

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I woke up periodically, hearing the rumbling of big 18-wheeler trucks (lorries) on the freeway. But the truckers also kept an eye on Mother because she was a woman driving alone. Interstate 15 is a major truck route, so many passed us on the way to Vegas. We passed the city of Barstow, where Interstate 40 begins. I-40 ends in Wilmington, NC, where my Aunt Kelly lives. She is known here on TCS as "angelsmommy." Her baby, and my cousin, Angel, crossed the Rainbow Bridge on February 5, 2016.

Mother stopped once halfway through our trip to let me use my litterbox and stretch my legs. She filled up the gas tank, then drove to a nearby restaurant to use the bathroom. Then, back on the road.

Mother once again filled the gas tank in the tiny community of Baker, California, the last place to buy gas for the next 90 miles (144 km). It was a long drive before we finally crossed the Nevada state line, and still had to drive more to get to Vegas.

We got to a motel past midnight, and rented the last room available. There was a big boxing match scheduled over the weekend, so rooms were booked.

Mother put me in the air-conditioned room first, brought in what we needed, and fell into bed.

We stayed at motels for several days, then Mother found a temporary place to live. Unfortunately, I could not be with her, so I was boarded at a veterinary hospital, where I was spoiled rotten by the staff, and gained weight. I later lost the weight, but still have a bit of hanging skin. Mother said I should have a tummy tuck, since Los Angeles is known for having so many plastic surgeons.

Mother put her belongings in storage, and then worked two jobs until she had money for an apartment. We lived there for three years. Another cat lived with us, but we didn't get along, so she went to live with Mother's friend, who had lost her cat.

After three years, we came back to Southern California. Mother rented another apartment, and that's where we met Eric, who became my little brother.

He was a big orange cat, weighing 18 pounds (8 kilos). I weigh 12 pounds (5.5 kilos). He was very friendly, and very intelligent. Mother thought he was a stray, so she started feeding him. We were on the second story, and Eric would walk on a very narrow walkway on the side of our apartment to our balcony, which worried Mother no end. He would have been seriously injured had he fallen, but he had the balance of a gymnast, and never did.

It turned out Eric belonged to one of our neighbors. We lived in a very large complex (240 units), and Eric belonged to a neighbor on the other side of the complex.

Eric was one of four cats they owned -- two boys, and two girls. No one was fixed because they didn't have the money to do so. Mother told them they'd have 87 cats in no time, and lectured them on responsible pet ownership.

Her vet took the three indoor cats, fixed, vaccinated and microchipped them for next to nothing because it was more important to get these cats taken care of now before they started reproducing. He told them to contact him if they needed to re-home these animals, as he had clients who'd be happy to take them.

Eric was living as a stray because he had lost the territory war with the other male cat in the house. Eric's original name was Sam, but he never answered to it. Mother called him that once, and he looked at her quizzically. Mother named Eric after the Viking Eric the Red.

After Mother took him in, he prowled around the house as King Eric. I was used to being the center of the universe, so I was not thrilled when Mother gave me a brother. But that was 13-1/2 years ago, and we love him very, very much.

Mother took him in when he was showing symptoms of an upper respiratory infection. She called the owners, but they never called her back. She found out from the 10-year-old friend of their son that they once again didn't have the money to take Eric to the vet, so they moved and left him behind, because they felt Mother could take far better care of him than they could. But the cowards they were, they never told her this, and abandoned Eric, sick and left to fend for himself.

Mother didn't think much of them, and neither did I. I know all too well what it's like to be abandoned.

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has been a long time, but I am back to finish my story.  Mother has had a lot to deal with the past month or so, which is why we have been away.

Eric turned 16 yesterday, July 15, 2016.  That date is significant for several reasons.  It was July 15, 1977 when Mother moved out of her parents' home at age 18, and got her first apartment.  The 10-year-old friend of Eric's previous owners said my brother was born in July 2000, but didn't know the date, so Mother gave him the 15th as his birthday.  And one of Mother's favorite singers, Linda Ronstadt, was born on July 15, 1946, so that is why Mother picked that day as Eric's birthday.

Eric had difficulty adjusting to being an indoor cat.  He was not neutered, so he wanted to be outside with the lady cats.  I shudder to think how many children he has out there!  He couldn't be neutered right away because he had to get over his upper respiratory infection first.  He was very sick.  I caught it, and got a milder version, but both of us recovered.   Afterwards, he was given his vaccinations, and then neutered.

Eric would dart out of the house every time the front door was open, which worried Mother no end.  He would come back about 30 minutes later, asking to be let in, but Mother worried because she didn't want him getting hit by a car.  He stayed within our complex, but still, Mother worried.  Those trips outside got less frequent as he adjusted to being an indoor cat.  Over time he gained weight, and had to be put on a diet because he was huge.  He hated the Science Diet food he was on, and refused to eat it for several days, but finally he was so hungry that he gave in.

Now that he has been an indoor cat for a long time, he loves it.  He sees no need to go outside.  He has a home, doesn't have to hope that someone will feed him, or a kill a bird for food, as he did when he was living outside, and best of all, he has a mom and a sister who love him.  He is very much the prankster, always getting into things.  He reminds Mother of Marmalade, of Cole and Marmalade fame.  But he makes Mother laugh, has a sweet spirit, and makes Mother laugh. 

He brings out my maternal instinct, and I groom him regularly, even if he doesn't like it.  We snuggle together on the couch, Mother's bed or in my box, and missed each other when we had to stay overnight at the veterinary hospital because of injuries.

Although I didn't like having him in the house at first, I am so glad to have a little brother.

Looking back on my 18 years of life, I am so grateful Mother found me.  We were meant to be together.  I have been blessed with a long and healthy life (I feel like a kitten, and still play a lot), and hope to be here for many years to come.  Mother has given me a wonderful home, lots of love, good food, good medical care, and a little brother.

I am one of the lucky ones.  There are so many cats out there with no home, hoping that someone will adopt them, with time running out in a shelter (California only gives six days before animals are euthanized), and jealous and sad when others are adopted, and they're not.  Cats on the street live only five years.  That could have been me or Eric.

So please -- adopt cats, instead of buying from a breeder or pet shop.  Let other cats be as blessed as I have been.

Thank you for reading my story.

Sarah

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I said twice that Eric makes Mother laugh.  That really wasn't a typo, looking at it again.  He is such a clown, with such intelligence, that it is worth mentioning twice that he makes Mother laugh.  Only he would get up on his hind legs the first night he was with us, put his paws around the front door knob, and try to turn it.  When told of this, our vet told Mother, "I'd keep the car keys away from Eric if I were you."