Primed For Leash Training, But Good Idea???

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old Clyde is indoor/outdoor. He now recognizes my running clothes, and has taken to asking to accompany me. He trots near me some of the time, and sometimes he darts from yard to yard in parallel. I stop and pet him. He will go only to the edge of our cul-de-sac street, which is less than 1000 feet, but its very cute. There is a busy road out there, but if he learns how to walk on a leash by practicing on our cul-de-sac, I could drive him to a nice park where we could walk.

Questions: (1) do you think he is really primed for leash training or am I fooling myself?; and (2) there are dogs in the park that also walk - recipe for disaster, or we just avoid them or what?

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like Clyde is a bit of an explorer. I've had indoor/outdoor cats like that too - some would cover huge areas in kitty terms. I have a feeling that Clyde will decided his own territory size, so you might find him resistant to going further than he choses to.

As for leash training itself, I think you'll learn a lot from his reaction to the harness. Some cats absolutely HATE the feeling of one, where others are more amenable to getting accustomed to it over time...especially if there are treats involved :yummy: I'd try him with the harness, and go from there. it'll take a while to get him confident and happy enough to go outside in it, in any case, let alone learning to accept the restriction of the leash ;)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NO! ANY where along a busy street is very dangerous, even if it is half a block away. My Chrissy was killed because she 'forget' herself and ran into the street because she was so happy, I saw her but thought she was safe because she was so far from the road. It's just not worth it. If you want him along definitely have him on a leash, and don't let him see you leave from now on, you say he stops now, but he will get more confident and go further with deadly results. It only takes a second and only one time. Leash training is fairly simple if you let them get used to the harness in the house. Once they walk around for a full couple of hours with the harness on, they are ready, but to get to this point might take daily practice for a month. When I first did it on Chrissy, she fell over on her side and didn't move for an hour. Make sure you get a figure 8 harness or one that tightens as they fight against it, both my cats slipped right out when a dog was coming and they learned quickly to turn around and slip right out. People are incredibly stupid when they are walking their dogs and come right up to someone walking a cat! All the luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NO! ANY where along a busy street is very dangerous, even if it is half a block away. My Chrissy was killed because she 'forget' herself and ran into the street because she was so happy, I saw her but thought she was safe because she was so far from the road. It's just not worth it. If you want him along definitely have him on a leash, and don't let him see you leave from now on, you say he stops now, but he will get more confident and go further with deadly results. It only takes a second and only one time. Leash training is fairly simple if you let them get used to the harness in the house. Once they walk around for a full couple of hours with the harness on, they are ready, but to get to this point might take daily practice for a month. When I first did it on Chrissy, she fell over on her side and didn't move for an hour. Make sure you get a figure 8 harness or one that tightens as they fight against it, both my cats slipped right out when a dog was coming and they learned quickly to turn around and slip right out. People are incredibly stupid when they are walking their dogs and come right up to someone walking a cat! All the luck and keep us posted!
I'm very sorry about your loss, but in my case there is a loud construction project right out there, and he wants no part of leaving the cul-de-sac because of it. The project has been going on for most of his life, and isn't close to done, so I'm not worried about him leaving the cul-de-sac. I'd shoo him away if he tried to follow me further. No, the idea is leash training on the cul-de-sac, then drive to the park, not walk there. Thanks for the leash training tips!