Pregnant Cat

Newmamacat83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We live on a farm and have two fixed outdoor cats that come and go from a heated barn. Long story, but a neighbour of a friend had a male cat show up on their farm and were looking to find him a home as they had enough cats. We said we would take him as it wouldn’t hurt to have another mouser. Moment I saw the cat colours I figured it was a girl, but didn’t change much. I thought she had a funny “football” shaped belly, but figured when I take her to get fixed I will get dewormer.
So as you can guess surprise we have a pregnant female.
She has only been around are our 2 fixed males and they all get locked in the barn at night. My guess is she came to us already pregnant as we now know she was starting to show when she arrived and it wasn’t worms.
I’m trying to guess as to when she is due about. I imagine patience time is the thing that will tell.
I don’t feel like she looks overly huge, but for her to arrive showing and it’s been 21 days since I would think it would be soon?
When do cats generally start to show a belly? I’m just kinda adding 21 days on to that as that’s when we got her.
I looked at her belly and she does have longer nipples, but they only look like a normal skin pink...I don’t know, I’ve never really checked out cats nipples before.
I have added a few pics to show her belly. Poor girl has had a rough life. Missing parts of her ears from frost bite I’m guessing.
thank you
Ps yes I let her in the house once lol she wasn’t too fond of it.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart hurts for what she has been through but warms when I think that she has found you, thank you.....I can see her hip bones, the poor dear needs some kitten food for the extra calories and nutrition. I would bet she is eating like a horse now! She just can't get enough. I would guess that since she didn't have enough to eat it may be closer than you think. My cat that showed up here went a week longer than I thought and I know when she came into heat by the males showing up. My guess is about ten days off.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats begin to show around the fifth week, which is 35 days. If you add in the 21 days you’ve had her, that comes to 56. Cat pregnancy runs 62-68 days on average, so she’s got at least a week and possibly up to 2 weeks left. She needs lots of extra food, as has already been stated, and it would be good if she would go in the house to have her kittens so you can fully socialize and vet them all eventually.

Thank you for taking her in! She looks like a very sweet cat! :lovecat2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Newmamacat83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Thank you for the advice.
My sister in law is a Vet Tech and recommended some kitten food to help with getting her extra calories. She’s been on the kitten food for only 11 days total now.
She is very unhappy being in the house.
We keep her in the barn when we are not outside as I fear she will go off to have her kittens if left outside and coyotes will get them. We take her out when we are out doing chores.
She is a lovely little cat and twice now I have cleaned her up with a spray cat shampoo only to have her go find a big warm dirt pile to roll in! Haha
Thank you again for your advice.

Newmamacat83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We live on a farm and have two fixed outdoor cats that come and go from a heated barn. Long story, but a neighbour of a friend had a male cat show up on their farm and were looking to find him a home as they had enough cats. We said we would take him as it wouldn’t hurt to have another mouser. Moment I saw the cat colours I figured it was a girl, but didn’t change much. I thought she had a funny “football” shaped belly, but figured when I take her to get fixed I will get dewormer.
So as you can guess surprise we have a pregnant female.
She has only been around are our 2 fixed males and they all get locked in the barn at night. My guess is she came to us already pregnant as we now know she was starting to show when she arrived and it wasn’t worms.
I’m trying to guess as to when she is due about. I imagine patience time is the thing that will tell.
I don’t feel like she looks overly huge, but for her to arrive showing and it’s been 21 days since I would think it would be soon?
When do cats generally start to show a belly? I’m just kinda adding 21 days on to that as that’s when we got her.
I looked at her belly and she does have longer nipples, but they only look like a normal skin pink...I don’t know, I’ve never really checked out cats nipples before.
I have added a few pics to show her belly. Poor girl has had a rough life. Missing parts of her ears from frost bite I’m guessing.
thank you
Ps yes I let her in the house once lol she wasn’t too fond of it.
sorry I also forgot to mention the photos taken outside were really windy. I can see where it looks like her hip bones are exposed, but it’s just her fur in the wind.
she does need some weight put on absolutely, but not as bad as it looks.

Newmamacat83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats begin to show around the fifth week, which is 35 days. If you add in the 21 days you’ve had her, that comes to 56. Cat pregnancy runs 62-68 days on average, so she’s got at least a week and possibly up to 2 weeks left. She needs lots of extra food, as has already been stated, and it would be good if she would go in the house to have her kittens so you can fully socialize and vet them all eventually.

Thank you for taking her in! She looks like a very sweet cat! :lovecat2:
Well I just noticed my math is horrible! Haha
We have actually had her 26 days so with 35 days added on there I’m guessing she could be roughly 61 days give or take.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you’re not exactly sure when she mated, it’s a wait and see game now anyway! 😊