Pregnant cat quick question!

NoriNori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat is pregnant. Today I've experienced her vocalising and taking me constantly to her birthing place. Ever since I came back home 11am 12 May till 7pm she didn't allow me to step away from the box. Every time I do she'd follow me, start meowing and guide me back to 'our place' There's no sign of kittens just yet but it does seem like she's having really random small contractions and her vulva has been pulsing also a bit of discharge. She's been trying to push only once or twice throughout all this time so my question is is that normal? She's not trying to push out babies and she's been laying quietly most of the times but twice she's been pushing for few mini-seconds or could that be stronger contractions? Also is the pulsing of her vulva a sign she's really close? She's extremely dependent on me and I need to plan ahead so I'll be able to stay with her home through it all. Appreciate your help. Thanks xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may be in early labor and wants you to stay with her for comfort and support.

First stage labor lasts about 24 hours from when it starts.

Second stage is pushing, and you will see very concentrated pushing until a kitten is born, though pushing with no results for an hour is a medical emergency.

Please stay with her if you can, and keep us posted. Hope all goes well, and plan to spay your cat when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My Cat is pregnant. Today I've experienced her vocalising and taking me constantly to her birthing place. Ever since I came back home 11am 12 May till 7pm she didn't allow me to step away from the box. Every time I do she'd follow me, start meowing and guide me back to 'our place' There's no sign of kittens just yet but it does seem like she's having really random small contractions and her vulva has been pulsing also a bit of discharge. She's been trying to push only once or twice throughout all this time so my question is is that normal? She's not trying to push out babies and she's been laying quietly most of the times but twice she's been pushing for few mini-seconds or could that be stronger contractions? Also is the pulsing of her vulva a sign she's really close? She's extremely dependent on me and I need to plan ahead so I'll be able to stay with her home through it all. Appreciate your help. Thanks xx
It may be an early phase. It may even be the Braxton Hicks contractions.... Has she dropped, ie suddenly seems less pregnant??

Its just to observe, but wait and see... During the time, if she eats anything, try to give her calcium rich food. Whatever you have at home and she eats.
Cheese, goats milk, kmr, yoghurt...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NoriNori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
3:04 May 13th first kitten was born! I think it's really small but can't really tell. Couldn't nurse on milk so I had to feed it myself but even though it seems little it's doing well. Momma cat laying happy in no distress. Eating and drinking just fine and caring for her new baby. I believe there's more to come cuz she's huge so she might've interrupted her labor or it will be just this little one. Thanks everyone for your answers!
20230513_045617.jpg

NoriNori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are things now?
No changes. Still just one baby and it can't feed on its own (I have no idea what's the reason. I guess could be because it's sooo small<?> ) I'm syringe feeding the kitten and making sure it's kept warm. Everything with kitten and momma cat seems ok

NoriNori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Second kitten born 14th May 00:00! For some reason also unable to suckle on, same as the first one, however the first one finally got it and there's no need to syringe feed it anymore. Momma is doing alright! Seems like there's still something more yet to come.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue with syringe feeding until this kitten is strong enough to latch. Thank you for being on top of all this!

NoriNori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20230513_182149.jpg
Been doing 'burrito babies' to keep them warm until the heat pad arrives. (Momma is totally fine with me handling them) Eating just fine, no temperature drop. Everything works great. First one gaining weight rapidly. //She's back to contractions. Possibly a third one on the way <?>

MunsyMunster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 449646Been doing 'burrito babies' to keep them warm until the heat pad arrives. (Momma is totally fine with me handling them) Eating just fine, no temperature drop. Everything works great. First one gaining weight rapidly. //She's back to contractions. Possibly a third one on the way <?>
Oh my goodness!! What a precious little burrito baby! ❤

NoriNori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About the experience..
Not necessarily with cats, more so with rats & ferrets, however the process is still quite similar.

Both clumsy babies finally able to latch on by themselves! Still syringe feeding half the dosage, if they're keen on but trying not to overfed. Kept on their warming pad & looking healthy. Weighting 105g (firstborn, was 86g) and 123g (the second one, was 115g)

Is it possible for her to keep on interrupting her labour after every kitten??? She still seems rather big and full, finds it slightly hard to lay belly up, to give them better access.Today is her final due date.
Screenshot_20230514-133444_Gallery.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she may give birth again when her body and the kittens are ready. It’s not unusual.

Weights are excellent!

NoriNori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Slightly related kitten question..
She ended up having 2 babies and they're doing really good but there's one concern.. My other cat (male, 5 month old) Seems to be extremely curious of our family's new addition. He'd run straight to her box every chance he gets. I haven't seen him do anything wrong to them. He'd usually lick them and their mom. Yeah he'd swipe at them a few times and even opened his mouth and grabbed one but it was rather delicate(?) More like.. he was checking them rather than wanting to hurt them and momma cat was there and she's okay with him, accepted him immediately. So my question is.. Would you consider letting him near the kittens safe to do so?? I feel like I'm stressing both cats a lot, keeping them separated and since this situation is new to me and him also. I need some answers.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your 5-month-old has no business around the newborns right now. He certainly does not need to touch them or pick them up. He also needs to be neutered if he is not already.

He’s just too immature to be around kittens this young, and he will need to be supervised around them when they are older because he will be bigger, stronger, and may play too rough with them.

Let him spend time with the mom when she’s taking a break away from the kittens, but do not let him hang out with her and the kittens. He may be lonely so find time to play with him with a stick toy each day. He’ll get through it.