Pregnant Cat - Any Tips/advices?

toraneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am fostering a pregnant stray cat for a little while, she's about a few years old. This is my first time to foster a pregnant cat. People behind a local animal rescue said she is a few weeks away, and she was picked up from somewhere with other pregnant cats and multiple cats. I think they said it wasn't her first pregnancy. She's currently in my bathroom (good size, airy and comes with a ceiling heater fan with temperatures you can change to) and had no issue with the litter. She has a fancy scratching lounge bed and loves lounging on the chair with clean towels.

I would like your thoughts - when do you think she might be ready and how many kittens do you think she is expecting? She's eating lots of nutritional kitten kibble, drinking water (I changed it once or twice a day), and going to the bathroom often (I changed her litter 2-3x a day, because she's been urinating/pooping a lot). Sometimes, I see movement in her belly, sometimes I don't. But her sides are quite large and her nipples are already showing a lot.

Any advices/tips for a first timer would be helpful! :)

Cat-2.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s hard to say for sure, but she definitely looks close! She’s probably in her last 1-2 weeks. Is her belly feeling tight and hard yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toraneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What does a mucus plug look like? Does that mean she will go into labor after having it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats can lose a mucus plug up to a week before going into labor, though it can be the same day.

The mucus plug looks like what it sounds like - a small ball of yellow or greenish mucus. Most cats eat it, so you may not see it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toraneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info! I will keep an eye out! :)