Potassium

silkcatseyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello - sorry, but I have yet another question.

I know Dr P's recipe calls for Morton Lite salt - but that's impossible to find here in France. And neither iHerb nor Vitacost sell it.

I have been using ordinary iodine salt as per her recommandation, but is this safe for long term use?

I can't find any equivalent here in France, so should I add some potassium?

I could order some Saxa so low salt from the UK - for those of you who live in England, is this the same as morton?

What do other members use if they can't get morton?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just worried that I'll end up feeding a recipe that is not balanced 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you will need to buy the salt that is half sodium and half potassium, or else supplement the diet with potassium. Your vet will be able to help you with supplements.

l don't know about Saxa, l live in Canada and can't find Morton's, so l use Windsor half-salt (the other half being potassium).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silkcatseyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Andrya.

Problem is, my vet is definitely not into raw feeding - asking about supplements of potassium is not really going to be an option.

random gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My advice? Get another vet. 

Your cat's health should be more important to your vet, than his ego.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morton Lite salt is a source of iodine and potassium. If the information below is correct, the Saxa contains no iodine. It has about the same amount of sodium and potassium as the Morton though. Do you have access to an iodine supplement? The Morton has about 60 ug (micrograms) of iodine per 1 tsp. Maybe you can find a supplement that provides that?  Powered kelp is a popular natural source of iodine.

Morton Lite Salt

Saxa So-Low Salt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silkcatseyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, sadly, they won't post to France :(

I have however found somebody on Ebay who can (at a great cost, but hey-ho, my kitties' health comes first)

Thank you for your help

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Morton Lite salt is a source of iodine and potassium. If the information below is correct, the Saxa contains no iodine. It has about the same amount of sodium and potassium as the Morton though. Do you have access to an iodine supplement? The Morton has about 60 ug (micrograms) of iodine per 1 tsp. Maybe you can find a supplement that provides that?  Powered kelp is a popular natural source of iodine.

Morton Lite Salt

Saxa So-Low Salt
@Silkcatseyes  : I goofed. The Morton lite salt has 60 ug iodine per 1/4 tsp or 240 ug per 1 tsp.