Possible ringworm? (any and all input is appreciated!)

sweetheartcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting here so apologies for any formatting errors.

I have an 8-year old indoor medium-haired cat (breed unknown) and about a week ago I noticed that she had a scab on the back of her head. At first I assumed she might have gotten a scrape from jumping around on furniture, but since the tiny wound didn't seem to be open/bleeding and her day-to-day behaviour didn't change (appetite, playfulness, energy levels were the same as usual) I decided that it probably wasn't anything too serious and decided to just monitor her closely to make sure things didn't change for the worse.

It's been a couple of days now and thankfully my kitty is still behaving as usual but I decided that I should do a little more research online to get better informed of the situation and that's when I stumbled across 'ringworm' and after doing a little bit of reading I feel completely overwhelmed and scared, thinking this could possibly be it. I've attached some pictures of the spot on her head and I would appreciate if anyone had any input or advice if they think this could be ringworm or a scrape that will heal on it's own. I want to take her to the vet but I'm in a bit of a tricky financial situation right now (and I have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), the last time I took my cat to the vet for an unrelated issue it turned out to be nothing, for which I am thankful, but the tests made a considerable dent in my savings) so before I do I'd like to hear from other people of their opinion and what course of action to take.

Thank you so much if you've read all of this.

Some more information:
- She only has one spot like this
- I have another cat, she doesn't have any symptoms so far (I don't really care if I get infected with ringworm but I don't want my other kitty to also have to go through this if this -is- ringworm)
- Both are exclusively indoor cats and get along well but do play fight a bit rough sometimes
- I had to really push apart her fur to get to the scab so the hair loss (if there is any) doesn't seem to be noticeable?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! I am not sure that is ringworm, given what you have told us. If your cats spend time near to one another, it would seem after a week it likely would have spread from one to the other, not to mention there would typically be additional spots showing up. You could try to send a pic to your vet and see what they say from just looking at the pic. If not that, then perhaps you can look through the many, many posts on this site for information about ringworm - and other treatment options to try in case it isn't ringworm. I have included a link below to those posts. I have also included a link below to a TCS article about ringworm in case that might be of any help to you.
Search Results for Query: ringworm | TheCatSite
How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles
This is at least something to start with until other members see your post and offer their opinions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetheartcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I am not sure that is ringworm, given what you have told us. If your cats spend time near to one another, it would seem after a week it likely would have spread from one to the other, not to mention there would typically be additional spots showing up. You could try to send a pic to your vet and see what they say from just looking at the pic. If not that, then perhaps you can look through the many, many posts on this site for information about ringworm - and other treatment options to try in case it isn't ringworm. I have included a link below to those posts. I have also included a link below to a TCS article about ringworm in case that might be of any help to you.
Search Results for Query: ringworm | TheCatSite
How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles
This is at least something to start with until other members see your post and offer their opinions.
Thank you! I hadn't thought of sending the pictures to the vet so I'll be sure to do that. And thank you for the links as well!