Please Help

alexandrias0913

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my kitten at 9 weeks and she is now 7 months- she was a stray left in a box with her four sisters and mom. I am just trying to determine her breed(s). My guesses:

1. Ragdoll

2. Birman

3. Snowshoe

4. Siamese

5. Himalayan

I am a humane educator for the shelter i adopted her from and use her in my speeches to help teach people about shelter pets and the humane treatment of companion animals. I'd love to be able to be sure of her breed so I can tell people with confidence.  

Please help ! 

Last edited by a moderator:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is absolutely stunning, and I am sure she is a hit with the people who see her. But unless you have a specific reason for thinking she is one of the breeds you mention (like knowing some of her history) then it is 99% certain that she is no specific breed, but what we call a Domestic Shorthair. Cats were never specifically bred for particular traits till about 150 years ago, unlike dogs who were bred for work and appearance over thousands of years. So all the breed characteristics were there in the general population, and some cats today will still have the colours, fur and shape that were selected from when people began to think about special breeds. There was some natural evolution so cats with ancestry from the northern forests became bigger and hairier, while desert cats developed pointed genes to protect them from the sun. These cats have our Maine Coons, Norwegian Forest cats and Orientals.

Your cat has some characteristics of today's breeds because she shares a lot of genes with all other cats.But the vast majority of today's cats are just that - cats. There is always a tiny possibility that she has a Breed ancestor somewhere, but most breeders do not let their precious cats mate elsewhere, and very few of them end up in ordinary shelters. She is still absolutely gorgeous and I love her colouring and her fluffy tail.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above, if there are no papers or no history there is no specific breed. I personally would think she has a strong Himalayan background, One thing for sure, she is absolutely beautiful, you found a treasure, and she found such a good home!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh she is so, so pretty! :thud: What a gorgeous kitty! And she obviously has a wonderful purrsonality too to participate in your work like that. I'm sure she's a great asset for keeping the audience's attention - I for one would be transfixed!

jwiet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think not knowing her breed for sure adds to the appeal of rescuing a pet apposed to adopting them. This shows how you can still find a stunningly beautiful cat that needs a home and doesn't cost a bundle at a shelter. I say better not knowing for sure.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you can compare her with a ragdoll bi-color, that would be the nearest look alike.

I also agree with the wise comments of the others posters.