Please help me stop the war!

arosenbu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,
I am new to the forum. And I need major help. A war has been declared in my house and it is between my husband and my cat Gizmo.
When my husband walks into the room where Gizmo is, she will hiss at him and grawl until he leaves. He doesnt even have to do anything. It has gotten to the point where he will walk into the room and she will hiss and then pee and poop all over the place. She has never acted like this to anyone else. Right now i have put Vanilla glade through out the house because i was told that calms cats. I am also currently making her a security blanket to sit in front of her favorite window with his scent on it. But what else can I do? It has gotten to the point where we may need to give her to a good home.
My husband and I got her 3 years ago and this problem has been going on for a year. We need ideas fast!

Thank you so much for everything,
Amanda

daidreamer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, and Welcome to TCS

I am not saying this could be the reason why your kitty is this way but I have two stories where the kitties ended up with the same behavoir.

The first is a dear friend of mine had a beautiful big male tabby. He was just beautiful. her whole family loved this cat and treated it very well. She had this cat for about 5 years everything all great till one day.. Her son walked in tripped over a bag in the hall and landed flat on the cat. The cat was hurt, broken leg actually, this cat was scard to death for months after of her son. It took lots of convensing to make this kitty see that her son wasn't going to hurt him again. The cat would hiss, growl, hide, you name it.. If the son was in the same room or around the area of the litter box he would hold it until he couldn't no more then have an accident. Poor thing.

The second is another friend of mine from work actually had her man living with her. She had two cats beatiful boys. She wondered why one cat would completely hide when ever he come home from work and the other one would hiss, freak out, and pretty well do the same thing. Pee, poo everywhere.. She found out one day that she walked in the house early that this man was abusing her cats. Terrorizing them
Her two sons had witnessed this behavoir but they are only little and was afraid to say anything about it. But when she caught him in the act the boys felt safe to tell her some of the stuff that he did with the cats. AWEFUL JUST AWEFUL

So I am not saying this could have happened but there is definately a reason for this behavior towards him. Is he or has he changed to a job where there is a smell of another animal that may scare her some how, anything like that.. The big thing is get this kitty to the vet hopefully they will be able to help.

Trust me, I am not trying to say that your hubby could have did something or is doing something I am just letting you know that our babies will let us know one way or another by their behavior that something is seriously wrong with the picture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arosenbu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your input! I took gizmo to a vet less than 4 weeks ago and she hissed and grawled at the vet. Didnt think to write that in. My husband did trip over her and break her leg when she was 6 months old. But we took her to the vet and had everything fixed. And she was fine for over a year, until now.

Thanks again,
Amanda

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arosenbu

Thank you for your input! I took gizmo to a vet less than 4 weeks ago and she hissed and grawled at the vet. Didnt think to write that in. My husband did trip over her and break her leg when she was 6 months old. But we took her to the vet and had everything fixed. And she was fine for over a year, until now.

Thanks again,
Amanda
Is your vet male? Does she act that way around all men?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest that he hurt her, whether he remembers or not. Perhaps in the middle of the night he tripped over her, triggering the old memory of the broken leg injury.

This is what I would do. Have your husband be in complete charge of Gizmo. When he works in and around her he is not to make eye contact with her. He is to feed her, give her water, play with her with interactive toys and scoop out her litter pan. Set up a schedule and keep to it- food at certain times, water bowl filled same time, litter pan patrol same times etc. Have him work with her in his stocking feet- preferably after he has gotten his feet really smelly. He is to drop special treats on the carpet or floor where his feet have been. Also, he needs to sit on the floor and just be still or read out loud in the room he knows she is in. He needs to get down to her level to show her that his size is not a threat to him. look into the Feliway Comfort Zone Room Diffuser and plug a couple of those in to your home as well

Also if Gizmo isn't spayed, I would suggest you get her fixed. But again, her behavior suggests to me that he hurt her. Sometimes, we just don't remember we did-