Please help me figure out what may be wrong?

lgentili317

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My name is Laura and I am very concerned about my 7 year old cat named Simba. He'll actually be 7 in August. I have noticed over the past few months that he has lost some weight. He weighed 23 lbs over a year ago but is now done to 17 lbs. He also has had quite the appetite and never seems to have enough to eat. My problem that I have been noticing over the past week is he has urinated twice on my bed and also "pooped" on my bed. He did throw up the night he pooped but he was okay after. Last night I saw that he was smelling my bed and I felt he was going to go to the bathroom on it again. I told him no and that he had to use his litterbox so he ended up running out of my room and into his litterbox.

I hate taking him to the vets because he hates it , cries the whole way there, poops on my hand when I put him in his carrier and also just the whole nerve factors for him and I.

Any ideas on what I should do or what may be wrong? I am thinking I should take him to the vet but has anyone seen this before?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Laura

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really cannot answer your questions regarding what it could be. Even though it will stress him to go to the vet, its really the best thing you can do for him. People on this site recommend a product called feliaway all the time to calm animals for many situations, including taking them to the vet. Most animals do not like to go, but in your situation its the best thing you can do for your kitty and help him get better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lgentili317

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think it could be something serious? Have you ever seen this before?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really do not have the experience to know that or not. Someone with more experience than me will probablly come along shortly and be able to answer that. Im really sorry that you are going through this and hopefully things will get better soon. Just stand by for someone to answer with more knowledge than me and good luck.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lgentili317

Do you think it could be something serious? Have you ever seen this before?
It could be something serious, and you should take him to the vet. Also, though he isn't old old, cats start to be seniors around seven, so by rights a senior panel would probably be in order in any case.

The weight loss is frankly concerning me more than the poor litter tray use - though that should also be checked by a vet to make sure nothing worse is going on, it can also be a sign of stress. Changes in weight in a cat really must be investigated by a vet.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A dramatic change in a cat's behavior (i.e. using the bathroom in an inappropriate place when that's never been a problem before) can be the cat's way of telling you that's something's wrong with him. Cats are usually pretty stoic - they don't like to show that they're hurting, so they show us in other ways. So it could be something directly related to the peeing/pooping, or it could be something totally different. I would definatley make an appointment to get thing checked out first, especially with the weight loss. Your buddy's probably trying to tell you he doesn't feel right. Best of luck, let us know what happens!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I really do not have the experience to know that or not. Someone with more experience than me will probablly come along shortly and be able to answer that. Im really sorry that you are going through this and hopefully things will get better soon. Just stand by for someone to answer with more knowledge than me and good luck.
Good for you, holding the fort!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laura, I agree with the previous posts. Improper eliminating is a sure sign that something isn't right. A voracious appetite combined with weight loss is something that needs to be addressed ASAP. I'm not saying this is what is wrong, but my Sophie also ate everything that wasn't nailed down & kept losing weight. Bloodwork showed her to have be hyperthyroid (which we control we meds). Simba really must see a vet.

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet, but hyperthyroidism is the first thing that came to me. The thyroid gland is overactive which also increases metabolism which can cause increase in appetite, weight loss, vomiting, and having bm outside the litterbox. He definitely needs to see the vet and have some bloodwork done.

Again, I am not a vet, so you really need to take him in. Like the other poster had mentioned, spraying some feliway in the carrier may help, too.

Good luck, I hope you find out what is going on with him soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lgentili317

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all. I called the vet today and she did suggest bringing him in. The one thing that I am wondering about is the fact that I had told him the other night when he went into my bedroom and he started to smell the bed was "no, Simba, you need to go to your litterbox. " Well, right after I said it he jumped off my bed and went to the litterbox. Could it be behavioral?

I agree though on the hyperthyroidism because I read it in one of my cat books. I am going to wait it out today and tomorrow and see how he is. I should have him go anyway but I hate the torture it brings to him and I get scared myself. I can't let him get sicker though if he is sick either.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The going in inappropriate places probably is behavioral to a degree - he might be doing it on purpose to try and get your attention that he's not feeling well. Its one of those things that could be due to a million things, so the best idea would be to rule out medical reasons, then try and figure out behavior. But in the mean time, it would be good to use an enzymatic cleaner on your beddings and bed if you haven't already. It will remove the smell and keep Simba from thinking your bed is a litterbox. They sell them at places like PetCo or Petsmart.