Please Help Me Figure Out What Breeds Might Be In My Cat?

Harmonysmine

"Time spent with cats is never wasted"
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody! I'm new here! I just adopted this rescue cat about 3 weeks ago and for the life of me I can't figure out what he might be. I've had Siamese cats all my life so they're all I know. The SPCA listed him as a Snowshoe mix but I don't really see it. He may just be a domestic longhair, but he seems to have some very specific markings which makes me think he may have been a specific breed that was mixed with a domestic maybe? I've added several pictures so you can see his particular markings. He has black patches on his nose like a Calico, but he has matching black stripes on each side of his face and an inverted V on his forehead. His eyes are blue. He has what I think are considered van type patches on his body that are a very light caramel color, but underneath on his back and at the base of his tail, the hair is a smoky, almost silvery mink color. His chin is that same color also. Could he have some Ragdoll in him do you think? His entire underside is completely white. I tried to get some pics of the dark chocolate brown on the backs of his legs. He has a sturdy, squarish muzzle and he's a muscular cat. He's grown alot in the few weeks I've had him and he seems like he's going to be a pretty heavy cat. Not at all like a Siamese ;) His personality is very sweet and loving with people but he knows what he wants or doesn't want and seems to want to intimidate my Siamese cats. I don't think they quite know what to think of him yet. He'll lay down with them but then he'll turn around and swat one. Not hard, but still...
I'd really appreciate your input! I'd like to be able to determine at least one breed he may be if possible so I can study it. Thanks so much!
20170524_025743.jpg 20170524_022329.jpg 20170524_022705.jpg 20170524_023236.jpg 20170524_024403.jpg 20170524_025227.jpg 20170524_030156.jpg 20170524_030506.jpg 20170524_030714.jpg 20170524_031902.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Harmonysmine

Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Mystical. He's a gorgeous cat, yes. My daughter brought me up to the SPCA to look at a dog she had her eye on but she also wanted to show him to me because he's so different, not expecting us to take him home. But once I saw him and his sweet personality, there was no way I was leaving him there!

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping that a staff advisor will be able to assist you here shortly. In a way his face has the coloring of a tort like the following pic of my outside cat, Halloween.
IMG_20170421_135847.jpg
Now I hope you won't think that I'm saying he's got tort in him. It's just his face reminds me of Halloween's face.

Harmonysmine

Kitten
Purraise
I agree! Yes, and even his build, head and ears seem to be proportioned similarly though I don't know, maybe domestic cats are all pretty much similar in that way? As I'd mentioned, I've only known Siamese cats so this is going to be an interesting venture with this one! He's completely different on all counts and so I'm enjoying learning his personality. Thanks so much for your responses!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is a pointed something. Shelters do like to put labels on cats because I think it makes those specific cats more attractive. In my experience they wrong 90% of the time (like now). The only thing he has in common with Snowshoes is, I think, having a pattern under the point. Medium hair. Maybe a bicolor but not in the tuxedo pattern. I am not seeing anything that reminds me of a specific breed. A moggie medium hair pointed?

abyeb abyeb and 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine any input?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, first off, assuming that your employment of the pronoun, "he," is correct, he's a male tri-colour - uncommon unto itself. Very rarely, an incomplete division of a chromosome pair at fertilisation results in the incomplete chromosomal fragment attaching one or the other or the pair required for full fertilisation, resulting in an XXY offspring, and in the possibility of a male tri-colour.

The blue eyes have more than likely come through Siamese heritage, and he does show certain similarities with Snowshoes in the way that he's marked an in body conformation, but good Heavens what a tail! Wild guess based solely on a quick assessment of the genetic possibilities: a back yard breeder crossing a Turkish Van, a Balinese, Javanese or Ragdoll (or a Persian with the uncommon recessive l - the short-haired gene) with a Snowshoe. abyeb abyeb or StefanZ StefanZ might have a better grasp of partial genetic dislocation of L / l (the 'gene' for hair length) allele in cases such as this, where anagen / catagen might be directly affected when an incomplete chromosome conveys only portions of certain traits.

He certainly is an handsome fellow in every respect. Welcome to TCS, by the way.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say tricolor pointed. He might have some Javanese influence, which would give him his coloring as well as his wedge-shaped head, slender build, and plumed tail. He is very handsome and certainly has a unique appearance!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stunning! He carriers also lotsa of different genes, you can almost take entry fee and let folk pay to look at him!

The analysis and description isnt easy, but I think everything has been covered by earlier posts.

He is a point, and he carries white. He carries black, and he carries also red. So he is a calico / tortie - unusual for a male. Not totally unique, but rare. Also most of male tri-colored are sterile, but even here no 100% safety...

He is also medium hair (some may say longhair). The face is rather pointed, as in an Orientale / siamese old type.

Domestic black tortoiseshell point and white mediumhaired, look alike of a balinese.... Something like that.

So we will call him for an Balinese old type, whom are semilonghaired siameses. Somebody mentioned Javanese, which are longhaired Orientales... Some associations do accept pointed Orientales, others dont.
On the other hand, Balineses arent renown for being torties, while the colors are more free among Orientals and Javaneses.

So choose which is most comfortable what you will compare him too as a look alike...

Harmonysmine

Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all! Can i ask what color point he leans toward, in anyones opinion? And maybe what pattern combination you see? If you've already explained this as best as you can, then please disregard ;)

Harmonysmine

Kitten
Purraise
Stunning! He carriers also lotsa of different genes, you can almost take entry fee and let folk pay to look at him!

The analysis and description isnt easy, but I think everything has been covered by earlier posts.

He is a point, and he carries white. He carries black, and he carries also red. So he is a calico / tortie - unusual for a male. Not totally unique, but rare. Also most of male tri-colored are sterile, but even here no 100% safety...

He is also medium hair (some may say longhair). The face is rather pointed, as in an Orientale / siamese old type.

Domestic black tortoiseshell point and white mediumhaired, look alike of a balinese.... Something like that.

So we will call him for an Balinese old type, whom are semilonghaired siameses. Somebody mentioned Javanese, which are longhaired Orientales... Some associations do accept pointed Orientales, others dont.
On the other hand, Balineses arent renown for being torties, while the colors are more free among Orientals and Javaneses.

So choose which is most comfortable what you will compare him too as a look alike...

Harmonysmine

Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I had just posted my last reply then saw your response afterward but this gives me some information I can pull up and read. He really is a unique-looking cat. I feel fortunate to have found him.
I'm curious though as to what about his markings make him a point? Just to learn something here. I gather his tricolors then are black, white and red? Am I understanding correctly?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! I had just posted my last reply then saw your response afterward but this gives me some information I can pull up and read. He really is a unique-looking cat. I feel fortunate to have found him.
I'm curious though as to what about his markings make him a point? Just to learn something here. I gather his tricolors then are black, white and red? Am I understanding correctly?
Yes, so you could also call him a calico point. Calico and tortie boys are very rare (only one in 3000 torties/calico are boys), so he's certainly unique!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
1. What makes him a point? The extra colored pointed parts - ears, tail, face, and - balls. Point Cats whom carry white sometimes have the face covered by this white, so we dont see the masque clearly. Likewise, cats whom carry tabby, have often much tabby stripes in the masque, and thus "the trees are concealing the forest"... :)
And the blue / bluish eyes of course. Blue eyes are rare in the general cat population, but its the usual with points of the siamese type. So its sometimes this which reveals the story to me as the first hint.

2. Yes, its the black and red + white, which makes him tricolored.

There are also diluted torties - where they colors become blue and creme (and white if its there).
That is why i wrote he is a black tortie - to be sure he isnt a diluted tortie...

He can of course be called for a calico point, everyone will understand it. but technically the wording calico is a popular label, its not used by the official vocabulary. That is why I was a little unsure how to describe it best...

Last to be complete; what is a difference between a tortie with white, and a calico? Both cats has the same main color genes, and the same colors. Both will be called for tri-colored cats.

Calico has its colors held together in clear cut fields. As you boy has. While a tortie tends to have them in a intermingled mosaic, alike the exemplary cat on the tractor-pic.

Harmonysmine

Kitten
Purraise
1. What makes him a point? The extra colored pointed parts - ears, tail, face, and - balls. Point Cats whom carry white sometimes have the face covered by this white, so we dont see the masque clearly. Likewise, cats whom carry tabby, have often much tabby stripes in the masque, and thus "the trees are concealing the forest"... :)
And the blue / bluish eyes of course. Blue eyes are rare in the general cat population, but its the usual with points of the siamese type. So its sometimes this which reveals the story to me as the first hint.

2. Yes, its the black and red + white, which makes him tricolored.

There are also diluted torties - where they colors become blue and creme (and white if its there).
That is why i wrote he is a black tortie - to be sure he isnt a diluted tortie...

He can of course be called for a calico point, everyone will understand it. but technically the wording calico is a popular label, its not used by the official vocabulary. That is why I was a little unsure how to describe it best...

Last to be complete; what is a difference between a tortie with white, and a calico? Both cats has the same main color genes, and the same colors. Both will be called for tri-colored cats.

Calico has its colors held together in clear cut fields. As you boy has. While a tortie tends to have them in a intermingled mosaic, alike the exemplary cat on the tractor-pic.
Thank you very much for that

Harmonysmine

Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for that great info Stefanz and Abyeb! I got online and started looking at Balinese and Javanese pics and info after you all gave me some good direction and....are you ready for this? If I'm correct in his markings, I believe I found exactly what he is after digging deep online and, turns out, he's actually a Seal Tortie point bicolor Seychelloise Septiem long hair. Whew...what a mouthful! I've never heard of a Seychelloise/Seychelles cat before in my life. I've attached what few pics I could find but, yep, that's him! I'm absolutely floored too because, keep in mind he's a rescue that was picked up by animal control, was undernourished and had ear mites. Apparently, this is a new breed as of 2008 AND is not only rare and not usually found outside the UK, but long hairs in particular are extremely rare! It is supposedly only currently recognized by FIFe, an international cat registry though I didn't find anything about him on their website. I read on one page that any Siamese or Balinese that has white is considered a Seychellois. Maybe the registry changed their mind and are grouping him in with the Balinese since the markings are very similar. I think I found only one breeder in Spain who must hsve since closed her cattery. Anywho...I just feel like I've hit the jackpot and been really blessed!
Here's a link I found if you're interested to compare wi

Harmonysmine

Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for that great info Stefanz and Abyeb! I got online and started looking at Balinese and Javanese pics and info after you all gave me some good direction and....are you ready for this? If I'm correct in his markings, I believe I found exactly what he is after digging deep online and, turns out, he's actually a Seal Tortie point bicolor Seychelloise Septiem long hair. Whew...what a mouthful! I've never heard of a Seychelloise/Seychelles cat before in my life. I've attached what few pics I could find but, yep, that's him! I'm absolutely floored too because, keep in mind he's a rescue that was picked up by animal control, was undernourished and had ear mites. Apparently, this is a new breed as of 2008 AND is not only rare and not usually found outside the UK, but long hairs in particular are extremely rare! It is supposedly only currently recognized by FIFe, an international cat registry though I didn't find anything about him on their website. I read on one page that any Siamese or Balinese that has white is considered a Seychellois. Maybe the registry changed their mind and are grouping him in with the Balinese since the markings are very similar. I think I found only one breeder in Spain who must hsve since closed her cattery. Anywho...I just feel like I've hit the jackpot and been really blessed!
Here's a link I found if you're interested to compare wi
Oh my goodness, let me try this a 3rd time!
Seychellois Breed Information
images (32).jpg images (32).jpg IMG_5110.JPG Seychellois_at_Jämsä_Cat_show (1).JPG

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
These two wont have no problems with shawing (if they are boys) or laying on make up (if they are girls). They dont need no mirror, they can simply look at each other! :)

(The joke isnt entirely mine, I believe its Mark Twain whom said something similiar).

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These two wont have no problems with shawing (if they are boys) or laying on make up (if they are girls). They dont need no mirror, they can simply look at each other! :)

(The joke isnt entirely mine, I believe its Mark Twain whom said something similiar).

Pudd'nhead Wilson.