Play Or Real Fighting?

MaggieLopez98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I recently brought home a new kitty, about 9 or 10 months old, and I have another cat I adopted before about 1 year and 3 months old. They have been together about 4 days, and i'd say warmed up to each other really quickly. However, they have these "play" sessions that can go on for hours where they're chasing each other around the room. It seems very innocent but sometimes when they wrestle one might make a loud meow/mewl and the other might hiss, and then they separate. Then they repeat.

So, it's clear I have more experience with introducing dogs, and cats are much more complicated.

There is a lot of cooking, they're tails are always up and flicking, their ears are rarely pinned, and but it's just sometimes when they actually wrestle is seems very intense. But yet they keep chasing each other and playing in other ways.

Should I be worried, or separate them? They spend most of the day separated and then spend the night together in my room.

Otherwise they lay next to each other, stare at each other, they seem fascinated.
...I've a lot to learn about cat behavior.

(Oh, also, it may be worth mentioning that my first cat used to be a fearful feral, so maybe he thinks rough play is okay??)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MaggieLopez98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the bad grammar, I was typing fast. And I meant "Chasing," not "Cooking"

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
They sound like they are playing and having fun, which as you have heard sometimes gets loud. I would not separate them unless the noise gets to you or a real fight breaks out with actual biting and fur flying. From what you have posted that sounds very unlikely but sometimes like wrestling kids, one or the other gets a little too rough and the other gets annoyed and play turns into a fight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MaggieLopez98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They sound like they are playing and having fun, which as you have heard sometimes gets loud. I would not separate them unless the noise gets to you or a real fight breaks out with actual biting and fur flying. From what you have posted that sounds very unlikely but sometimes like wrestling kids, one or the other gets a little too rough and the other gets annoyed and play turns into a fight.
They’re typically very good about separating if one gets upset. But I will keep an eye, since they’re new to each other after all. Thank you!