Peeing Outside Litter Box

Tiny Ball of Fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Chloe (7yrs), has been peeing outside of her box for the past few months. She began doing this around late December, when we had our Christmas tree up, and she decided that while I and a few of my family members who generally live with her were away, that peeing under the tree was the only good place. Since then, she's been peeing fairly consistently in the area the tree used to be. We've tried blocking off the room that she prefers to pee in, but as soon as it is available again, she goes right back to peeing on the carpet or on the stones in front of my fireplace (see photos). When the room has been blocked off, she would also sometimes pee on the tile near her litter box, or on the doormat (fabric or rubber, we've tried both) that lies in front of the door her litter box is near. It seems like this might have been just sensitivity to her environment, as of course it began after the tree was introduced, and often when she pees just outside of her litter box, it's when her main caretaker besides me is away for a night or two. However, I have no idea whether that is the true cause, or, if it is, how to fix this behavior. She sees the vet every one or two months because she's currently on a weight loss plan, but they haven't noticed anything amiss. She's a long-haired kitty, and when she was at her heaviest, she got an infection on her behind from an inability to clean herself properly, but she's lost a lot of weight since then. Throughout this, she has been pooping in the litterbox consistently, so I don't think it's because of the box or litter, but we did recently switch from Fresh4Life clay litter to the multi-cat arm & hammer litter pictured below. Any ideas as to why she's doing this or how to prevent it? Thank you! :)

20240226_193852.jpg
her preferred pee location
20240226_193939.jpg
New litter
20240226_193748.jpg
Litter box situation
20240226_193713.jpg
What we've been using to clean up her pees
20240226_193723.jpg
What we used to use to deep clean her box (although we've mostly stopped doing that so it's familiar)
20240226_193821.jpg
Another litter box photo

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I can see off the top of my head is the litter box deodorizer you're using to clean the carpet probably isn't eliminating the scent completely. I've used that product, and it does very good mixed with litter, but for cleaning up accidents you'll want something enzymatic such as Nature's Miracle. :)
Is her litter box in a high traffic area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tiny Ball of Fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think we tried Nature's Miracle in powder form before the current deodorizer, and it didn't seem to help.

No, not really. It's in a mudroom that we only go into a couple brief times a day to put away coats and such.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think we tried Nature's Miracle in powder form before the current deodorizer, and it didn't seem to help.

No, not really. It's in a mudroom that we only go into a couple brief times a day to put away coats and such.
I have never used the powder, only the liquid and I've had pretty good luck with it. Do you think it would it be worth a try?
There are also sprays you can use that deters them from re-marking. I've used these before. They work, but need re-application often until the habit is broken.
Have you noticed her going more often, but in smaller puddles? They can have bladder inflammation without actually having an infection, so that's something to consider as well. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use Vetoquinol "The Equalizer", it sprays on lightly, and requires very little drying time.
Amazon.com: Vetoquinol Equalizer Pet Carpet Cleaner, Stain Remover & Odor Eliminator, Carpet Spot Cleaner, 20oz : Pet Supplies
I think it could be used on the stones as well, and just left to sit.

The other aspect is her having pee issues when her other caretaker is not around. There is likely some sort of sensitivity that she feels. Were you and/or her other caretaker gone a lot during the holidays?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Tiny Ball of Fuzz Tiny Ball of Fuzz
The holidays are a common time for some certain little pests to begin invading our homes! Have you had someone come by to do a free pest check? Many pest companies will do this free assessment.

Since it's happening around changes in the home, or to her care, you might also want to consider discussing FIC with your vet. It is a stress issue that causes inappropriate urination habits in cats.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Can’t help wondering what would happen if you put a tiny tree or branch taped to the litter box. (Obviously this isn’t a very lucid idea).