paint my cat room

kaliska

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So if my cat room walls are a bit dark of sky blue and I have a dark blue cat tower what should I paint all the shelves and wooden structures we are piecing together from scraps? It's a small room with a sloped ceiling and the ceiling is not painted yet so that could also be included.

http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/media/cat/DSCN2969_zpswo8k7gl6.jpg.html

I was thinking some shade of blue or brown/chocolate but then I wondered about a purple that matches the shade of blue on the wall.... Make the whole thing brighter instead. However, my family has logical engineering degree type brains and not artistic. What little interest I had in arts my mom promptly squashed so I would put my time into sciences. My ability to decorate is nonexistent. Which is why this thread exists.

I should also post the amount of wood in the room.  There is also a hardwood closet door of the same wood. (I hate those curtains)

http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/media/cat/DSCN2807_zpspvakja2o.jpg.html

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Your image links are not working. Can you upload the images directly using the "image" icon in the toolbar above the reply box?
You can find instructions for adding an image HERE.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaliska

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ugh, I hate forums where you can't edit your posts.  All I'd have to do is take off the url tags and link so it's a plain img link.  I avoid having to upload to forums because I hang out on a good dozen forums in a given week and I may use the same pics on 3 or 4 of them. 

The start of our cat room back in Aug.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the room is small, I would avoid adding more dark paint or it is going to appear even smaller. Especially if you are leaving the door and window frame the dark brown wood.

Personally, I would go with white or cream (similar to the rope on the scratching posts) on the ceiling. The shelves and structures should pic up some of the colors in your curtains (use a semi or high-gloss for easy cleaning). If you want to add some accents, find some 'cat' decals to put on the walls. Or you could look for vinyl wall murals online, but they can get expensive and you don't want to clutter the walls/room.

For curtains, I would go with something that is going to throw some color into the room and brighten it up...like a chartreuse and blue pattern! You could also take pictures of your own cats and colorize them blk & wht and hang them in white frames with chartreuse matting to complement the curtains. You could even do a dark blue or black frame.

I combined your two pictures and added a few patterns etc to give you some ideas. I really think purple would darken the room and make it too monotone because it is in the same pallet as blue. If you don't care for the green, try something in the orange and/or deeper yellows that give contrast to the blues.

I hope this helped?

View media item 308053View media item 308054

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaliska

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm thinking of ditching curtains altogether and doing the top half of the window in stained glass decals.  This one is designed just to reflect into the room

This one is more blue

This one is more green

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Ugh, I hate forums where you can't edit your posts. 
  You won't need to hate us soon. 
  You can edit them for up to two hours when you get to kitten status (your next post will get you there).  It's a spam prevention thing.