Overweight???

shiraz21

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a kitty and i'm not sure if she's overweight... do you know how to tell? I got her at the humane society about 3 months ago and the week after i got her, i took her into the vet and they said she was 8.8 pounds. i guess that was good. but now she's been sitting around my room (she cant get out because she'll attack my roommate's cat and dog) and i'm afraid she's just eating and sitting around and maybe gaining weight. i'll have to weigh myself and then hold her and weigh her and me together, but i think she's kind of petite framed... she's about a year or so. i leave out dry food for her and fill it up whenever it gets low and a couple times a week i give her a little bit of wet food. not sure if i should limit her intake of dry food or what.... (a new mommy here) any ideas? thanks!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will look up the chart but the best way is to havve the vet check her at the next check up

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An 8.8 lb cat is not overweight even if it is pitete.

I would classify Normal being 7 to 15 lbs, Overweight between 15 and 20 lbs and Obese between 20 and 30 lbs. That is for a normal Sized cat

But as Yosemite says more wet food and less dry is a good way of helping a cat maintain a healthy weight. I have been trying it with my pleasantly plump 25 lb cat Duke and he seems to be getting a bit more svelt. I havn't had him on it long but he has always liked wet food better than dry so it's no fur off his tail.

Good luck with everything *smile*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shiraz21

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok i was thinking about doing that (feeding her the wet morning and night). i give her Purina... and those cans are smaller than normal cans (i.e. Friskies, that are the size of regular tuna cans or so)... should i give her a can in the morning and can at night? or only half? i want to still give her a little dry because i know that helps with the tarter control and the humane society said they dont like any wet food because it can make their teeth fall out. i've heard all different stuff.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say for a cat her size about 2 heaping tablespoons, you don't want to give her too much and have it sitting in her bowl for too long, I'm not an expert and I don't know your cat but that would be my idea see if anyone else posts with an idea

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take this wth a grain of salt but this is what I have heard:

If you can feel ribs but cant see/perfect
If you can see ribs/too skinny
What RIBS? too fat.

IMO I think slightly overweight is healthy. It can help them pull through when they become sick. You just dont want an obese cat.

shiraz21

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hahaha ok thanks guys.... got it. she does love her wet food but she chows on the dry regurarly too. aww my baby, i wish i was home with her right now, hahaha.

shiraz21

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'd also look for a really good quality food - without by-products.
yeah Purina has by-products... they're that bad? i thought purina was good but maybe i should switch her to the nuetro max or something natural like that... my roommate buys that for her cat.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shiraz21

yeah Purina has by-products... they're that bad? i thought purina was good but maybe i should switch her to the nuetro max or something natural like that... my roommate buys that for her cat.
I would, but when you switch, you may have to do it gradually, that is mix some of the Purina in with the new food and gradually increase the amount of new food over a 2 week period until she's pretty much on the new food only. I've just recently started to feed our babies the better quality wet foods with no by-products. I admit I didn't do it gradually, but I wasn't feeding much wet food anyway until I read on the forums that wet food was better for them than all dry. They don't like them as much as the wet, gravy "junk" food I was feeding, but they are gradually getting used to them. I free-feed a good quality dry food as well (about 1/2 - 3/4 cup per day for both cats to share) and do the wet food in the evenings.