out of control senior cat HELP!

delirium

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 17 year old cat who is becoming somewhat out of control in the sense that she forgets that she eats, and keeps bugging everyone to feed her right after she was fed. She was never a vocal cat before but now she just won't stop howling until she gets fed again. Naturally, this gets extremely frustrating, especially when no more than 10 minutes have passed after her feeding and she is at it again. I know she gets enough to eat, most of the time she won't even eat all of what we put out for her, and she will cry for more food when there is still some in her dish. Then, usually in the afternoon she will eat and then go in my parents room and start wailing very loudly for a few seconds, then everything is fine. I go in sometimes and she is just sitting there, then she makes herself comfortable and everything is ok afterwards. Anyone know what that's about??
It's like this really bizrre ritual and it seems like she only does it in the afternoon right after she has eaten.
The other thing is that she seems to be urinating and defacating in the house, she will not use a litter box. She hardly did in her better years, but that was because she was outside alot and I guess she had some secret spot that we never found!! The wierd thing is that she always goes in the same few spots so it is not like it's totally uncontrollable. We will put her outside, because she was an outdoor cat (a stray when she came to us many years ago) and she enjoys lying in the garden. But as soon as she comes in she uses the carpet as her toilet. This, along with the obvious issues, sets a bad example for the other cats , as they have now been caught urinating in the heating vents or against walls, etc. We have taken her to the vet and they cannot seem to find anything severely wrong except old age and a kidney problem that they say is not severe. She is considerably mobile, given her frail state of 8 lbs. This cat eats continously yet is not gaining any weight, then the other cats eat whatever food she doesn't and then they get fat because of this, it just seems out of control.
It's almost like she is not ready to let go, but at the same time her geriatric antics show no sign of stopping. I just don't know what to do, this has been my cat since I was 8 years old and I am 24 now...so it is very difficult but I am hoping someone can shed some light on the subject and give some advice, I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did the vet do a senior panel (labs)? If not, go to another vet for a second opinion. I would probably go to another one regardless at this point.

Your cat is showing signs of hyperthyroidism (the wailing, constant hunger, and zero weight gain even though eating a lot) - a common illness in elderly cats. It is controllable with daily meds.

The litterbox issue may be a UTI or a behavior issue. I do not have a lot of suggestions with that until a thorough vet exam has been done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

delirium

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your responses. I have taken her to the vet and asked these questions before and they seem to think all of this is relatively normal behaviour for an aging cat. I remember hyperthyroidism being mentioned the last time we took her in, but one of the things they said was that we would have to insert pills in an unpleasant location and i don't know if she can handle that every day, we have tried some medicines, "over the counter" but if we mix it up in her food she won't eat it. Another one of the problems is that my mom is in this state of denial and I have thought of just taking her myself but my mom is the one who can finance the visits. I think a second opinion is a good idea regardless, and I dont know why I hadn't thought of that so thank you. I have to get something done because I am not convinced that this is a perfectly content cat anymore but she does not seem to be in pain. I just want what's best even if it means having to say goodbye. I just want her to be ok.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Forgive me OP, but did the vet actually do any labs? I'm not reading it as if it was done.

Regardless of perceived health, a senior panel is recommended after a certain age, b/c the liklihood something will develop needs to be caught and a baseline done. I know hyperthyroidism is common and I know many older cats that get diabetes too.

A vet MUST do labs. Frankly, saying "normal cat behavior " as they age without doing labs is negligent IMO.

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Delirium

Thanks for your responses. I have taken her to the vet and asked these questions before and they seem to think all of this is relatively normal behaviour for an aging cat. I remember hyperthyroidism being mentioned the last time we took her in, but one of the things they said was that we would have to insert pills in an unpleasant location and i don't know if she can handle that every day, we have tried some medicines, "over the counter" but if we mix it up in her food she won't eat it. Another one of the problems is that my mom is in this state of denial and I have thought of just taking her myself but my mom is the one who can finance the visits. I think a second opinion is a good idea regardless, and I dont know why I hadn't thought of that so thank you. I have to get something done because I am not convinced that this is a perfectly content cat anymore but she does not seem to be in pain. I just want what's best even if it means having to say goodbye. I just want her to be ok.
HyperT medicine can be given as a pill orally, a transdermal gel in the ear, or it can be compounded into a flavored liquid and put into food.

PJ gets her methimazole once a day - fish flavored - mixed in canned food. She eats it right up. If you're able to get it compounded into a flavor your cat likes, then giving it as a liquid should not be a big problem. I did the ear gel as well for a while, but it didn't work well for PJ. The compounded liquid in my area costs me $42 for 2 months supply, and it is worth every penny. PJ lost 4 pounds in a year and was unable to maintain her weight until she was properly worked up and put on medication.

PJ is 12, and the first thing that was done by the vet (even before she showed hyperT signs) was her senior panel. I think this is the best place to start.