Older cat doesnt play but is bored!

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello community, I need your help.
My cat Helmut (5 y.o. spayed Birman) doesnt really play. We got him as a singleton 9 months ago, he did play a little bit, but was very picky with his toys. First he only played with soft toys, then he stopped and the only thing he then liked was old socks rolled into a ball. he does respond well to toys that include snacks (those snack balls, or a fumblebox), but I am afraid that he will get fat. We tried to set up a routine but he got more and more bored, we even decided to get a little brother for him, whom he now has accepted, but he still doesnt really play(He only watches), and if, he only runs after the feather stick thing for a minute and then decides to be done. Usually I never had problems, I had many calm non-playful cats in my life, but Helmut yowls and paces, especially in the evenings. Sometimes I hear him play at night though.
At the vet, they said he is alright, nothing wrong with him, he is perfectly healthy and his weight is (for now -.-) ideal. Anxiety was ruled out too, bc his general behaviour when he's not pacing is very calm, relaxed and attentive to the new little brother.
Vet recommended the usual play, then feed recommendation, but well, after months he doesnt really play. The other cat plays by himself and is excited about everything.

Maybe some of you have particularly difficult cats when it comes to play and can help me or reccommend toys? Is there something even Helmut can be crazy about?

Thanks in advance!
(Photo of the boys for y'all)

Attachments

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Such cuties!!! :loveeyes:

Have you tried a laser pointer? My 8 y/o adoptee from last August plays with that consistently for exercise (I cut up a couple greenies treats into like 8 pieces each and give her 1 morsel whenever she catches the dot). She also doesn't really like noisy toys -- anything with a bell, plastic on the floor, etc.

These are soft and quiet and she enjoys "hunting" them, chewing, batting them around, etc.: FRISCO Swattin' Springs Cat Toy, 4-Pack - Chewy.com

Wool balls are also sometimes a hit (if they've been in the same box as catnip toys and absorbed the smell).

Recently, we bought a pack of ping pong balls (based on what I read in a random thread on this site) and she LOVES them intensely sometimes. My partner would roll them toward her -- and it took several attempts -- but eventually she would catch them under her paw like a little goalkeeper, bat them aside, or bat them and chase them around with an energy I've never even imagined she could have. This is the one exception to her quiet (silent) toys.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Toys that bounce or roll can interest even a non playful cat. Cat springs, small balls of any kind and catnip filled toys are some that seem to have universal appeal. Rotating toys and adding in new ones regularly also help keep a cat playful. They don’t need to be expensive - he may like a cardboard box to chew or a sheet of tissue paper to tear apart.

If you are going to give him treats , you can make him hunt for them by hiding them. There are healthier treats like dried chicken or fish that cats love that won’t cause weight gain. You can also open curtains or blinds at bedtime so he can occupy himself looking out at all the nighttime creatures.

D gn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Helmut (5 y.o. spayed Birman) doesnt really play. We got him as a singleton 9 months ago, he did play a little bit, but was very picky with his toys. First he only played with soft toys, then he stopped and the only thing he then liked was old socks rolled into a ball. he does respond well to toys that include snacks (those snack balls, or a fumblebox), but I am afraid that he will get fat. We tried to set up a routine but he got more and more bored, we even decided to get a little brother for him, whom he now has accepted, but he still doesnt really play(He only watches), and if, he only runs after the feather stick thing for a minute and then decides to be done. Usually I never had problems, I had many calm non-playful cats in my life, but Helmut yowls and paces, especially in the evenings. Sometimes I hear him play at night though.
At the vet, they said he is alright, nothing wrong with him, he is perfectly healthy and his weight is (for now -.-) ideal. Anxiety was ruled out too, bc his general behaviour when he's not pacing is very calm, relaxed and attentive to the new little brother.
Vet recommended the usual play, then feed recommendation, but well, after months he doesnt really play. The other cat plays by himself and is excited about everything.

Maybe some of you have particularly difficult cats when it comes to play and can help me or reccommend toys? Is there something even Helmut can be crazy about?

Thanks in advance!
Maybe a laser pointer , how about catnip toys?

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thanks in advance!
what beauties! i have siberian that would play for hours with the ring from the top of milk gallon! in spite of all the expensive toys i got her those r her fav! i would just pull the tab and throw it on the floor. they r round lightweight they roll and cheap! she would put them in her dishes, the bed, she seemed to using them to communicate. when one would roll under the sofa she would spend hours trying to get it. sadly at 18 yo she is not that playful anymore.

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
At his age wand toys will interest him the most. Some like da bird but mine like to chase things on the ground so Purrfect leather bouncer or go cat catcher. Also like to hunt so pop up cubes are a big hit. Not tunnels

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have kind of been following your thread as I have a cat that has never been a fan of playing - and I too think she is bored. Feeby is now 16+ yo, and I just her be who she is - a 'no-playbaby'! The only thing Feeby has ever played with and still occasionally plays with (for only a minute or two at a time) is an old shoe string that my husband gave to her nearly 10 years ago.

Most everything recommended above has 'bombed' with Feeby as well. So, I hope you have different results with some of the suggestions!!!

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Obviously older cats are not playful as kittens, however if you know how to play with cats you could always getting their attention. For example, using cat wands and teasers not just randomly waving infornt of them, instead mimic a small bird or mice natural behaviors, move a bit, then run and hide somewhere, you could just stand there but control all the movement, I could always getting all our cats join in, no matter their ages, they get so excited and some silly ones will wait for hour near the hiding place

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what beauties! i have siberian that would play for hours with the ring from the top of milk gallon! in spite of all the expensive toys i got her those r her fav! i would just pull the tab and throw it on the floor. they r round lightweight they roll and cheap! she would put them in her dishes, the bed, she seemed to using them to communicate. when one would roll under the sofa she would spend hours trying to get it. sadly at 18 yo she is not that playful anymore.
That is super interesting! I will try this, although I live in germany and it's hard to find these gallon bottles. Maybe I'll check the juice isle. Thanks!

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At his age wand toys will interest him the most. Some like da bird but mine like to chase things on the ground so Purrfect leather bouncer or go cat catcher. Also like to hunt so pop up cubes are a big hit. Not tunnels
Tried all of these actually, he likes the ones with the stick and feathers attached, but only cares for the plastic end, not the actual toy. Also he only likes to chase it on the bed or sofa. Otherwise he ignores it. If he plays with that then only for a minute or so. I recently am trying to reward him for every minute of intense playing, maybe that will make him play longer?

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Obviously older cats are not playful as kittens, however if you know how to play with cats you could always getting their attention. For example, using cat wands and teasers not just randomly waving infornt of them, instead mimic a small bird or mice natural behaviors, move a bit, then run and hide somewhere, you could just stand there but control all the movement, I could always getting all our cats join in, no matter their ages, they get so excited and some silly ones will wait for hour near the hiding place
Yeah, I know that. I am just very confused bc I had cats all my life and was very involved into caring for them, I know what they like when playing. (For example that boil and simmer technique drives them crazy) But Helmut, as stated above doesnt care for any kind of wand, only for the plastic end and only on bed or sofa for barely a minute. I never had a cat this difficult to be honest.
The only thing I do know that he likes soft toys, and therefore the socks I mentioned. But since socks dont really come in a big variety, he gets bored of them really quick. It's really like a picky toddler. He likes crinkley sounds, like paper bags and occasinally the crinkle tunnel.

Interestingly I had his brother before him, from the same litter (We sadly losthim due to vet malpractice) - he was playing like crazy.

I will keep trying though, hopefully y'alls ideas will ignite the playing spark in Helmut at some point!

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Such cuties!!! :loveeyes:

Have you tried a laser pointer? My 8 y/o adoptee from last August plays with that consistently for exercise (I cut up a couple greenies treats into like 8 pieces each and give her 1 morsel whenever she catches the dot). She also doesn't really like noisy toys -- anything with a bell, plastic on the floor, etc.

These are soft and quiet and she enjoys "hunting" them, chewing, batting them around, etc.: FRISCO Swattin' Springs Cat Toy, 4-Pack - Chewy.com

Wool balls are also sometimes a hit (if they've been in the same box as catnip toys and absorbed the smell).

Recently, we bought a pack of ping pong balls (based on what I read in a random thread on this site) and she LOVES them intensely sometimes. My partner would roll them toward her -- and it took several attempts -- but eventually she would catch them under her paw like a little goalkeeper, bat them aside, or bat them and chase them around with an energy I've never even imagined she could have. This is the one exception to her quiet (silent) toys.
I did! He couldnt care less. I maybe thought it was the wrong one, so i borrowed from a friend, didnt like those either. Wool balls were a hit for a week or so, now he ignores them. Same with scrunchies.
Pingpong Balls scared him, bouncy balls he does like but only when nobody is looking for some reason. The key seems to be texture and crinkle sounds, but the pile of toys is growing and I am really desperate now.

As you can tell, this cat is a total nutcase, and in all the cats I had in my life, this is a first. Vets cant help either :/

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Sammy has never been very playful either, when we got the kittens he got a lil more so.

We've found that he really enjoys the laser and wand toys, though. Those seem to be the ones that hold his attention the most.

He also will play with catnip toys for a bit, but never for to long.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried all of these actually, he likes the ones with the stick and feathers attached, but only cares for the plastic end, not the actual toy. Also he only likes to chase it on the bed or sofa. Otherwise he ignores it. If he plays with that then only for a minute or so. I recently am trying to reward him for every minute of intense playing, maybe that will make him play longer?
Sounds like he would like the purrfect leather bouncer or go cat catcher with a mouse on the end so he can put something in his mouth or chase it. I don't think treats will make a difference. There is a wide variety of things to do with clicker training

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish became very difficult to entertain after 2 years old. She likes it when I show effort though. Some times I make her a toy fussing during the procedure (tie a father on a string etc) then move it a sound the house calling her... The tiny devil pounces about 15 minutes later. I then understand the watching is part of the game. She even mocks total disinterest!
So don't give up.
Some novelty toys:
crinkly something put in a sock toy so it crinkles
Various nuts preferably with hardshell on
Olives:minish loves probably because it makes mock bug hunt, she can bite it but doesn't eat (shouldn't eat anyways)
Pop corn mess from her own paw in bowl
Cue tips thrown around or hid under a mat as she watches
Drinking straws used like cue tips
Laser pointer slowwwly hides in nooks and crannies
Kibble chase
Hide and seek with new furniture around (a new box, an open umbrella in the middle of the living room..

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bough one of those fancy string feather toys today, that does the bird like swoosh and movement, but there was barely any interested. His little brother loves it though. Another thing I ralized, that he chews a lot. He catches the toy and chews. Maybe thats a new starting point?

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Minish became very difficult to entertain after 2 years old. She likes it when I show effort though. Some times I make her a toy fussing during the procedure (tie a father on a string etc) then move it a sound the house calling her... The tiny devil pounces about 15 minutes later. I then understand the watching is part of the game. She even mocks total disinterest!
So don't give up.
Some novelty toys:
crinkly something put in a sock toy so it crinkles
Various nuts preferably with hardshell on
Olives:minish loves probably because it makes mock bug hunt, she can bite it but doesn't eat (shouldn't eat anyways)
Pop corn mess from her own paw in bowl
Cue tips thrown around or hid under a mat as she watches
Drinking straws used like cue tips
Laser pointer slowwwly hides in nooks and crannies
Kibble chase
Hide and seek with new furniture around (a new box, an open umbrella in the middle of the living room..
Thanks for all the ideas! I definetely will trie these. Laser pointer is a no from Helmut, he couldnt care less. He used to like just paper balls, but he gets bored of things so fast. I keep putting them away so he forgets and might gain interest again. Watching is a big part here too, but I feel like it entertains him but doesnt really fill that boredom hole. He found a piece of string today, that he likes but lets see how long. He basically just chews it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I bough one of those fancy string feather toys today, that does the bird like swoosh and movement, but there was barely any interested. His little brother loves it though. Another thing I ralized, that he chews a lot. He catches the toy and chews. Maybe thats a new starting point?
My cats never liked feather toys. Grab and go. One growls if I try to take the mouse. I'm sure there is something out there! Just gotta find it

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats never liked feather toys. Grab and go. One growls if I try to take the mouse. I'm sure there is something out there! Just gotta find it
Will keep trying. I am just glad that the little one loves everything his older brother ignores, so its not a total waste of money. A piece of string spraked his interest for a day or so, now thats boring too. Less yowling in the morning for some reason, but the usual pacing and yowling in the evening. Any invitation to play was ignored, will do a vet checkup again soon, even though they didnt find anything last time :/ More ideas are welcome