Old cat throwing food back up,,,,,

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Missy our old cat [about 18] sometimes right after she eats she will throw it back up. It is not even started to be digested yet, Its hard food that is just wet and stuck together, When I lived alone I had a cat that also did the same thing. Is this a reaction to stress or do they eat to much at one time or is it something to be worried about?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
take her for a senior p[anel... I have my 17 yr old on wet / homemade / raw diet no vomiting..

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can I would transfer her to wet food and feed her lots of small meals. That is good for older cats' digestion and helps against kidney problems.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a earlier post some months back someone had suggested raising the height of the food dishes??? My senior (soon to be 17) eats several small meals throughout the day.
He doesn't eat the same stuff as the others as he is so much older!!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes they eat too much or too fast. Raising the dishes can help slow them down, as can spreading the food out so it's in a single layer. If the vomiting continues, get her to a vet. A senior panel (bloodwork) would be a good idea on an 18 year old cat, as it can catch problems (hyperthyroidism, diabetes, chronic renal failure) in the early stages while they are easy to treat.