Okay...so does anyone have those talking cat buttons?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I apologize if a thread has already been posted about them. I have watched of videos online where dogs press buttons to "communicate" with their owners. I just looked it up and saw that they sell these buttons for cats, too.
As for me, I am not sure I want to know what everyone in my crew is thinking. :seesaw:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't know they had those for cats. There are people who believe their dogs are thinking and communicating, I personally think it is a human projecting their own feelings and thoughts onto their animals. To varying degrees dogs can be trained to a very high level and many dogs are eager to please their human. Throw in a human projecting themselves onto their dog I can understand how people will start to believe their dog is communicating with them through these.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They are basically the same buttons whether used for cats or dogs and the start up is very inexpensive, like under $30. They are designed where you can start with a single button or two and then add on if your cat or dog uses them. It would be a fun thing to try.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen some of the videos and there are definitely dogs using them correctly. I think you could train an animal to use them to let you know they want to go outside, eat, etc. But I've seen the dogs asking to see a particular dog that belongs to someone else but they play with. I've seen them letting them know another dog in the family needs to go outside to use the bathroom. So it definitely seems above just basic training in comprehension. That said; one family has one dog that uses them beautifully and another who doesn't use them at all. So I guess it depends on the animal. I've definitely had cats that were more crafty than others; so I bet they could too. I don't see why animals learning to communicate through them is far fetched at all. It's not like they are giving their onionin on local politics or something. I do think I saw one where the dog was upset by fireworks and used a couple buttons to try to say that.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
They are basically the same buttons whether used for cats or dogs and the start up is very inexpensive, like under $30. They are designed where you can start with a single button or two and then add on if your cat or dog uses them. It would be a fun thing to try.
If my cats could read they would be laughing in tears about this. They rule!
But, it is worth a try if you can return it:clapcat::angrycat:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think mine would be responsive to the buttons. Sally is so curious that she probably would. I felt sorry for one of the dogs in the videos who wore out the treat button within a week.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't need them, my cats have got me very well trained. I already know their different Meows for "We need more treats", "That cat from next door is staring at us again!" and "Look Laura, a giant stag beetle. We've left him in the bathroom for you."

:lol:

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't see why it couldn't work. My blind Siamese was easy to train with voice commands, so he knew what certain words meant. That being said, he wanted to please.

Our old tabby would have been the one wickedly delighted to make us do things with a button press. He already knew that smacking my favorite painting got me up, so he could lead me to what he wanted.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So funny-its not really even "words" thst are comprehended by most animals(:except for primates) but it is tone .....I've shown tye example to people a million times by saying " sit,pit,lit,grit,hit" etc " Come,bum,fun,hon,chum,done and especially the complex commandos "do you wanna eat"... you can say " pooh Donna feet" and you'll get the same response...

East to prove,if your cats name is Sami call out Tammy,Whammy,Cammy or lamby and they'll respond the same Cats are highly trainable,primates are teachable.... big difference though I believe there's much more to communicating with animals and what they do "learn" because they do " think "