Official names for the colors of my cats?

evakatharina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just curious, and sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm just wondering what the "official" way to describe the colors of my cats would be.

Annie is a DSH. She's mostly gray stripes, but on her back she's got some light brown patches. And her chin and chest are white. Here you can see her back:

And this one shows her white chin and chest:
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2121198_n.jpg

My new kitty (as yet unnamed, comes home in about a week) is a Persian or Persian mix, the same light gray color as Annie, also with a white chin:

I'm sure someone here must know!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Annie looks to be a blue tortie tabby & white, tortie tabbies are also known as Torbie in some countries

New kitty is blue and white

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evakatharina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Tortie tabby! I knew there had to be some kind of name for her coat pattern!

evakatharina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Northern Glow- you're right he's not solid blue. With his coat in such sad shape right now, it's hard to tell, but it almost looked like he has a little bit of the same light brown as Annie mixed in??

What does ticked mean?

evakatharina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahhh, okay I get what a ticked coat is now. Thanks!

I'll have to look more closely at his coat when he comes home on Wednesday!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by evakatharina

Northern Glow- you're right he's not solid blue. With his coat in such sad shape right now, it's hard to tell, but it almost looked like he has a little bit of the same light brown as Annie mixed in??

What does ticked mean?
Blue tabbies often have this slight 'oatmeal' shade in their coats, but genetically it's only blue. The agouti (striped) hairs just make it look like there's other color in there. It's also possible that there is no white in him, it just looks like it in the pic. Tabbies can have very pale chin but it's not actually white.
Ticked is one of the different tabby patterns (others being classic, spotted and mackerel tabby).

The other cat is indeed a blue tortie tabby and actually does have cream in her unlike the second kitty (and males very rarely are torties anyway).

evakatharina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll try to post up more pictures when I get him that maybe will show his fur better.

Consensus on him is blue tabby though?

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by evakatharina

I'll try to post up more pictures when I get him that maybe will show his fur better.

Consensus on him is blue tabby though?
IMO without a doubt yes, blue tabby.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what a ticked coat may look like in a DSH (a cat not bred for ticking, so there tends to be more striping):

I also own his sister, who is a ticked torbie (brown ticked torbie & white).

evakatharina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Based on that, he is definitely not ticked then. Oh boy is your kitty handsome though!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely would go with what WellingtonCats is saying about your Persian cross as she breeds Persians.

I would describe the first cat as a dilute torbie and white. But that's me. Dilute or pastel just means instead of the traditionial black and red, the cat is blue and cream...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

^I agree, definitely not a smoke..
my laptop is bad for colours

Originally Posted by AddieBee

I would describe the first cat as a dilute torbie and white. But that's me. Dilute or pastel just means instead of the traditionial black and red, the cat is blue and cream...
Not really, torties come in several colours.
Including chocolate, lilac, blue, black/seal