Odd Weight Issue

maiseycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if there's a reason to be concerned here - maybe I'm just spending too much time at home
- but, I thought I'd bring it up, anyway. My cat has lost some weight in the past year. She used to be overweight, then I stopped free-feeding her. She was last into the vet in May, and she weighed 7 lbs. at the time. The vet said that's normal, though she still had a paunch. Now she has thinned out in her mid to back region. It's hard to explain, but she looks normal in her neck to mid-back, then thins out, and towards her tail, thickens up. So, it's like an hourglass, I guess. I thought there may be something in this that would set off danger signals in some of you, if this is a real issue. I thought it was just that she's losing a little weight, but when I hold her, she seems so thin in that middle region. She has been more active as we're in a new apartment and she's exploring, running up and down the stairs alot (stairs are new to her). Her appetite is normal, though she seems to cry more often for food. She's had tapeworms before, but she was wormed, and I've not seen any eggs since then. I hope it is not heartworm or another type of worm, though she seems fine - not barfing, not tired. Am I overreacting? Does a cat normally look like this when she loses weight? She does seem of normal weight, though her mid-region is so thin. Her skin hangs down where she used to have that paunch - maybe that is what's causing the effect?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would want her to be checked again to see if she is still losing weight. You need to make sure she doesn't have some kind of problem. If so, it is better to catch it early.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maiseycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that maybe I'm not feeding her enough (?). I have read two different recommended amounts for a cat her size from two different boxes - 1/2 cup and 1 cup. So, I give her 3/4 cup. It doesn't seem like much food at all - esp. since she has weight control food. I've been trying to give her more human food scraps and treats to see if she CAN put on weight. I think I'll watch her and if her weight goes down at all, she'll go to the vet. We are in a new city, though, and her vet is an hour away. I don't know many people up here, but I'll check out some places on my own - there are some "cats only" clinics up here which sound cool.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check with your vet, but maybe since her weight loss is no longer needed. she should go back to regular cat food. Or perhaps there is another medical condition that should be looked at.