Obsessively Attentive Cat...

UmmLeila

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a forum on here that appeared to relate to this, but after I signed up and tried to search for it again, I kept getting error messages - so I must start my own thread...

My 10 year old male cat, Ernie, has begun to shadow me everywhere in the house. If I'm watching TV or reading he wants to sit on my lap; when I'm at my computer he sits and stares at me for ages or taps my knee, for attention, and when I move from one room to another he follows.....and all this behaviour is constant. If he was human I'd call it stalking!
We have a younger male cat, Seve, (now 7 years old) and, from the time we got him - which was about three years after Ernie was adopted - we have encouraged Ernie to feel he's 'top cat' as he shows signs of jealousy 'though he's never aggressive - just bossy. By necessity I have to give Ernie more attention than Seve which is unfair as Seve is also an affectionate cat.
However, Ernie's constant need for affection and attention is very worrying. He's never happier than when he's in my arms, purring quietly as he pushes his head into my hand or snoring quietly with his nose under my armpit. He doesn't show any other symptoms of separation anxiety so I don't believe it's that which is causing his behaviour.
I've had cats for over thirty years and this is the first time I've had a 'stalking' cat!
My husband suggested Ernie might simply be laying claim to me, to avoid Seve having the attention....but this has only begun quite recently and, as I said before, Seve has been with us for seven years.
Any ideas?

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When there is a sudden change in behavior it's always good to rule out medical problems. Sometimes a cat can become more affectionate because they feel safer with this person.
However I believe it cuold be that he is just getting older. My previous cat was always affectionate but became more and more insistent while aging. She had always been affectionate but when she got older and entered her senior years she was very much a velcro cat: she even started following us when we did laps in the pool. Aging brings a lot of change in a cat and often that includes change in behavior. Sometimes they feel more vulnarable because they are not as fast as before and their senses are not as good. You are his human and he might simply look that line of safety now that he needs it.
If it's getting in the way of your relationship with Seve I would however make sure to give the other cat also some affection. Do not let him break your relationship with Seve. If when you spend time with Seve he tries to tear away your attention from Seve, ignore him and keep focus on Seve. Keep that up for a while and then say hello to your velcro kitty and remind him that you still love him. It should ease with time.
I would say that a velcro kitty is a problem only if he is codependent on you, if he is ok being away with you and is not anxious then I would just enjoy the purrs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UmmLeila

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When there is a sudden change in behavior it's always good to rule out medical problems. Sometimes a cat can become more affectionate because they feel safer with this person.
However I believe it cuold be that he is just getting older. My previous cat was always affectionate but became more and more insistent while aging. She had always been affectionate but when she got older and entered her senior years she was very much a velcro cat: she even started following us when we did laps in the pool. Aging brings a lot of change in a cat and often that includes change in behavior. Sometimes they feel more vulnarable because they are not as fast as before and their senses are not as good. You are his human and he might simply look that line of safety now that he needs it.
If it's getting in the way of your relationship with Seve I would however make sure to give the other cat also some affection. Do not let him break your relationship with Seve. If when you spend time with Seve he tries to tear away your attention from Seve, ignore him and keep focus on Seve. Keep that up for a while and then say hello to your velcro kitty and remind him that you still love him. It should ease with time.
I would say that a velcro kitty is a problem only if he is codependent on you, if he is ok being away with you and is not anxious then I would just enjoy the purrs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UmmLeila

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Letta. I'll do as you suggest. x