Not raw, but semi-home-cooked...

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I am grasping at straws, I admit. I have a foster cat who has liquid stools and nothing I do seems to help. This is the latest thing I have tried:

2 cups flour

1 cup wheat bran

1 cup rolled oats

1 teaspoon brown sugar

2 tablespoons lard

1 egg

Enough milk to make a poured batter. Bake at 300 degrees.

(That Dog Of Yours by Anne Elizabeth Blochin published 1941)

Once this cooled, I cut off a slice, crumbled it up into bite-sized pieces, added one can of Fancy Feast, stirred, and fed to cat. She ate it (she'll eat anything, thank goodness!) last night and no improvement by morning. Gave her some more this morning with Pet Kelp Probiotic in it.

Have tried metronidazole. She has been wormed and her stool samples come back negative for parasites. Have tried high fibre kibble (RCFHN Spay Neuter) and Special 33. Have tried LID (NVAR Rabbit). Have tried no canned. Have tried all canned. Have tried Urban King (which must be yucky because even she wouldn't eat that, nor would my former denizen of Kennel Inn...) Have tried pumpkin and Homeopet drops. Have tried a pep-talk (told you I'm grasping at straws). She's going to the veterinarian again to-morrow.

Any suggestions? Have I missed something?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this for a treat?  It sounds like a treat recipe... But most treat recipe's have meat in them, usually tuna, because cats are obligate carnivores.  Will she eat the Fancy Feast on it's own?  Have you tried?  Just give her some wet food.  Try Royal Canin.  It's more expensive but I know a lot of vets recommend them to kitties with "issues" and tummy troubles, etc. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, I am grasping at straws, I admit. I have a foster cat who has liquid stools and nothing I do seems to help. This is the latest thing I have tried:

2 cups flour
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons lard
1 egg
Enough milk to make a poured batter. Bake at 300 degrees.
(That Dog Of Yours by Anne Elizabeth Blochin published 1941)

Once this cooled, I cut off a slice, crumbled it up into bite-sized pieces, added one can of Fancy Feast, stirred, and fed to cat. She ate it (she'll eat anything, thank goodness!) last night and no improvement by morning. Gave her some more this morning with Pet Kelp Probiotic in it.

Have tried metronidazole. She has been wormed and her stool samples come back negative for parasites. Have tried high fibre kibble (RCFHN Spay Neuter) and Special 33. Have tried LID (NVAR Rabbit). Have tried no canned. Have tried all canned. Have tried Urban King (which must be yucky because even she wouldn't eat that, nor would my former denizen of Kennel Inn...) Have tried pumpkin and Homeopet drops. Have tried a pep-talk (told you I'm grasping at straws). She's going to the veterinarian again to-morrow.
Any suggestions? Have I missed something?

Yes, the only two ingredients there that are appropriate for a cat are lard and an egg. The rest .... should not be fed to a cat, IMO. That is a dog food treat recipe, not a balanced cooked diet.

Fiber may help people when it comes to diarrhea, but the most common reasons for diarrhea in cats is either parasites, an imbalance of healthy bacteria, or antigens in the diet to which their bodies are reacting (sensitivities to a protein or food ingredients).

Has the kitty been tested for internal parasites?

There are two primary approaches I would take.

I would do this: http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/giardia-natural-treatment-protocol/

And I would also use the "emergency stop diarrhea" instructions for use with the Jarrow S boulardii with MOS: http://www.ibdkitties.net/Probiotics.html

I would also add an acidophilus-based probiotic as appropriate for the age of your kitten. Many cats love the Renew Life, but it is a little difficult to dose for a kitten. In that case, you may be better off with the Natural Factors.

I would also consider putting kitty on a poached chicken diet (or use Beech Nut baby food) for a week, to let her system have a break and be given a chance to "reset."

After that, you can reintroduce canned foods - something with a rather simple ingredient list that is high protein, low carb. Fancy Feast classics are a good choice.You could use home-cooked, but as kitty is a foster, it's probably best to feed something thather adopter is likely to be wiling to use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She'll gladly eat Fancy Feast on its own, or just about anything else on offer. I used the victory diet base to try to up the fibre content in her food in the plainest way possible. It was never meant to be a full feed. The nutrition was from the Fancy Feast (I'll add better canned now that I know she'll eat the base). I love Royal Canin, but it didn't work for her. I'm really worried about her because nothing seems to help. Usually the metronidazole works quickly and well, and it didn't touch the problem.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, fiber doesn't always work for a cat's diarrhea. Sometimes fiber just irritates their insides since they aren't really designed to eat much fiber. A good strong probiotic should help (I'm not familiar with the kelp probiotic you mentioned, but probiotics sold for pets are usually dead culture cells, not live cultures, so for best results try a live culture kind sold for humans). An enzyme supplement might help too---I like Prozyme.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The baffling thing is that her stool samples have come back clean. At first we thought she had coccidia, but we were proven wrong. She came out of a hoarding situation North of here, and is the last cat to be caught. I never saw the situation myself, but its been described as a "hell hole." How long she's been like this is anyone's guess. Her kittens are healthy (now) and thriving. They stubbornly refuse dry food (so far) but are otherwise normal little creatures of six weeks. She has been a great mummy, despite her lack of condition.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hate to say it, but the PCR isn't always accurate. Especially if the problem is T. foetus. There are several members of TCS that needed to run four PCR tests before getting a positive for it.

As I said, I would assume there is some kind of parasitic problem, especially given the rescue circumstances. I would use the digestive enzyme on an empty stomach therapy as described by Dr. Hofve. It is safe, anti-inflammatory, and will knock out any protozoal type parasites if that is the problem. If not, it will aid digestion and help reduce inflammation from ragingly unhappy intestines.

And again, given she was on antibiotics, she needs antibiotics to re-establish her healthy gut bacteria anyway.

Also, the S boulardii helps restore normal function to the intestines.

Many, many kitties have used these treatments, and they generally work (along with the plain diet for a week).

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long can you feed a cat just strained chicken and probiotic? I always have a stash of Heinz strained in the house just in case. I'm sorry for asking dumb questions, but I'm a bit old-fashioned and this holistic stuff is all new to me.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Raspberry went to the veterinarian this morning. She gave her fluids and a B12 shot. She is now on Tylacin. She is on w/d dry until further notice. w/d has worked well for my little Peepbean, so maybe it'll help her. We have to do fluids to-morrow and B12 shots once a week for the next five weeks.