Nitenpyram Question

Greybird7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A Google search turns up no documented information about nitenpyram's effect on feline tick control. Web sites state that nitenpyram works on fleas, but not on ticks, but without offering supporting evidence for the latter conclusion. Ancedotal reviews on some websites, suggest this insecticide does work on ticks, but again, without any supporting evidence. Given nitenpyram's ability to rapidly kill fleas, does the tick have some innate resistance to nitenpyram?
I have a cat who resists the use of flea and tick topical meds, as well as the use of collars.
The only way I can treat her, is to mix nitenpyram/lufenuron caps into her food, but that
formula is not advertised as an effective tick control.
Does anybody have any experience with, or opinion about, the use of nitenpyram as a short term tick killer?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't done it myself, but I have heard rescuers say that they've used it with success on animals who are covered in ticks. And they oughta know! Although, it may have a certain percentage of ticks that it doesn't kill---if the animal is covered in ticks, any reduction in numbers is good, and then the rest can be removed manually.

So for routine tick control, I don't know. Most of the time we prefer to repel ticks instead of just kill them once they're already attached, and cats tend to pull off any attached ticks if they can reach them. But if she happens to have attached ticks in unreachable areas, the product might kill them. Ticks are tough, killing them is hard.