Newborn Kittens And Fleas?!

KimOKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new here and I have been non-stop researching all the great information as my cat gave birth to 4 perfect kittens 6 days ago! I noticed two days ago.. fleas! All my animals are treated with a topical solution as directed every month so I am beside myself. I have read a lot of good articles, I'm trying to comb them and drown the fleas in dish soap and water but it is very tedious as you know, and I work very long hours. anyway my question being I'm reading about DE and also possibly bathing them in Dawn dish soap at a correct temperature and keeping them warm, but how much dish soap and is it safe at this age? Is there a recommended temperature of the water I'm just very nervous about everything I don't want to cause any harm but I know fleas are causing more harm and if I use the good d e earth, is it safe to use all over them? A small amount? Any advice would be appreciated as I'm ready to tackle this like now! Those disgusting nasty fleas are just way too fast for me to completely get them all

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Contact your vet about a topical treatment to use on Mom. That will help the kittens too. She will also need dewormer.

Don’t give the kittens a bath yet. Keep combing them daily and wash their bedding frequently.

Can you keep mom 100% inside and away from intact males? Would you like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area?

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't wash the kittens they need to stay warm and dry especially so young. Make a totally new nest discard any previous bedding for now. Use a topical on mom that is safe for nursing mom's as suggested you will be fine. Vacuum etc and if you want you can dust DE on your carpet here and there. Or the peremiters of the room if laminate floors. Cats aren't supposed to inhale DE, if you administer to mom cat nursing the kittens would be inhaling DE. Topicals are the best way to deal with fleas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KimOKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried contacting a vet who had not yet seen this cat who had kittens but I had been patient with my previous cats who have passed away, years ago, but I'm a patient with my two long-haired white German Shepherds but even so they would not provide me any advice or help because this new cat I took in had not been seen yet she was too close to giving birth and it just happened..which was very maddening and disheartening because if you're in this field I would think you would love animals and want to help it or at least offer advice if possible.. I work in the medical field and you just do not turn away sick patients period, But anyway and they are not an emergency vet clinic so they gave me two names which both are more than 2 hours away from where I live! And now there's more to the story I didn't post the issue of my favorite I guess I shouldn't say I have a favorite but my Molly baby cat that I've had for years, there's a long history that makes her so very special to me, they're all very special but I don't need to explain.... she happen to disappear the same day the kittens were born and I thought she was being stubborn and then I 2 3 4 day's go by and no Molly and I was just devastated and she has never been more than a 10-foot radius from my home cuz I had spoiled her that way well we happen to find her this morning hiding in some shrubs not too far away and I was flabbergasted because I have been out every night calling and searching and crying because she has never been away for a night but we've lived way out in the boonies where it's known that animals sometimes meet their makers with not so friendly animals, bobcat, fox, Etc.. but still I spoil them and they have a much better life here than they would at the farm I rescued them from but I just can't keep them inside I just that's my opinion.. but anyway upon finding her today she's sick I feel she's very anemic I give my cat's their flea treatment regularly religiously so I don't know where these fleas are coming from but I brought her inside she looks thinner she was all disheveled she drink a few sips of water and then went to lay down where she always does and I spent 3 hours on the back deck with her with a flea comb thinking maybe that's what affected her I don't know and I'm serious people I could not find one live flea on her but all kinds of flea dust I mean loaded with a nasty flea dust but this morning I went to Tractor Supply and dished out a hundred bucks on this Capaction pill to get rid of fleas instantly and it says it's safe on nursing mothers because I cannot have a flea infestation!! I just paid good money on the topical treatment stuff for all the animals as I do monthly which is why I'm beside myself that there was fleas still I've never had this happen I feel like I'm a horrible mother or one of those people that should have their pets taken away and I'm the one that's always saves them so where are these nasty varmints coming from?? Anyway I'm babbling because I'm still very upset I'm out here with my Molly who seems so very sickly I tried to get her to take one of those pills because I really feel like it's fleas that affecting everybody but I honestly did not see fleas and I check them all the time I'm paranoid about them and she instantly had major diarrhea and vomiting I was able able to get her back inside and she's curled up where she likes to lay on the deck with me and I have literally picked up 20-plus fleas adult fleas that have dropped off so obviously it's those damn fleas causing this sickness but I have called all the vets in my area I'm willing to go to some emergency place but there none close by, won't even hear my story because she's not a recent patient even though they've been seen there before but since all of this I know this is a long story she did throw up the cap action pill I gave her or she threw up something after but I've been sitting out here with her for 3 hours and I have picked off so many fleas they are literally dying as we speak and I really think I caught it in the nick of time even though her belly may hurt I think we're going to pull through because that's what I have promised her.. I will never let another damn flea get near her or bite her if she just pulls through!! how can this happen in a matter of less than a week when all my animals get their treatment as prescribed religiously and why is no other vet willing to help?? Anyway sorry I've talked way too much because I'm just beside myself with worry and fear..

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
What topical flea meds are you using? Advantage II is safe for nursing moms, and it will repell the fleas on the babies as well. Make sure you get a spray and spray furniture too or the eggs will start the flea problem again. It sounds like Molly is anemic... could you get some pet tinic for her? You can buy it at some pet stores . The advantage II you can buy at Walmart too.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok Capaction is a 24 hour, kill all the adult fleas on the pet ONLY. It doesn't do anything to prevent any more from hatching, so as soon as that 24 hours is up all the eggs are going to hatch and you will have this happen all over again.

Also your vet will not prescribe or recommend anything over the phone because it is a liability/legal issue.

They need a quick warm bath in dawn dish soap and to be kept warm, use a warming pad of you need to and blankets, completely fresh bedding, litter, everything. Get a flea collar and put it in the vacuum bag and vacuum like mad everywhere, hardwood floor, couch cushions, etc. Mom can be treated with Frontline Plus.

I know you said the dogs are treated but with what? If they still have to jump on to bite and die, then that is likely how they are coming inside. But they can come in on your pant leg, through screens or nooks and crannies in your house. ALSO the immature fleas can lay dormant in your home for an insanely long time.

KimOKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've already done all of the above I've literally spent hours, days, researching Googling all this same advice you're telling me but thank you! I've never heard of the Pet tinic I will definitely go buy some immediately! Yes my dogs and cats are treated with Advantage II, a few hours after the cap action, I began with vacuuming the couches, etc, luckily I have no carpeting just throw rugs and I have the vacuum with the flea collar and emptying it immediately and also putting a flea collar in the garbage bag. I'm trying to stay on top of it. I thought Molly was doing a little better this morning but as soon as she tried a few sips of water she threw up small amount of foamy substance. I'm just trying to stay by her side as much as possible in between all this cleaning. Thank you for all the great advice and tips, I really appreciate any ideas or Solutions or anything I can do for Molly right now as it's tearing my heart into pieces knowing that she's sick.. I just feel so helpless, why did she take off like that and why couldn't I have found her sooner

KimOKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh absolutely I'm getting her into the vet just as soon as possible I will miss work Tuesday if needed.. if course it seems like if something's going to happen it's going to be over a long holiday weekend

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about elsewhere but anecdotally I'm led to believe there's a flea problem over here due to the heatwave we've had. I took Chubchub to the groomers the other day and she said that most of her customer's pets have fleas at the moment unlike other times. Also Petsathome said they're selling more flea treatments than usual.
Yes mine got fleas recently and I've used Frontline Plus and blasted the house with spray.
For anyone in the Uk, the council will fumigate a small house for £60 or thereabouts. My council does, not sure about all.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet said we deal with Super Fleas today! A Flea bomb spray can be purchased from Vets you need to remove pets for 24-48 hrs is best a new litter I would take to a friend's for a few days until all is settled at home. This will take care of any fleas indoors. Hope Molly bounces back fast stays indoors. I would give her anything that she loves to eat as long as she's eating drinking resting, they love cooked chicken, turkey.

KimOKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MOD NOTE: merged from another thread

I'm looking for a few opinions thoughts ideas as soon as possible please!! So I have four beautiful very healthy active strong kittens who are 5 weeks old as of today. Just like lots of others on here I've been battling the fleas! I've done all of it throughout the past 5 weeks, the combing with the Dawn dish soap, treating mama with a Capstar to rid the adult fleas, vacuuming every single day and emptying the canister, washing their bedding in hot water daily, all of it.

Mama was treated with Frontline as I do all my animals right on time, sometimes even a day or two early because the darn nasty fleas just come back with a vengeance if I don't. I have both Advantage 2 and Frontline which I believe both state kittens have to be either 6 or 8 weeks old and over a pound and a half; since they all weigh a pound and a half plus, but only five weeks, and the fact that they're super healthy strong plump and not to mention super cute do you think it would be okay to give them just a few drops each??

I really feel it would be okay from everything that I've read but I just would feel better having a few opinions or advice. Thank you in advance for your time and any responses!!

Last edited by a moderator: