New to site & need nutrition advice

Mick64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m changing my 7 year old & 5 year olds cat food to a higher quality brand. I’m mixing 25% wet new into the old & 25% dry new into the old dry. They like the dry but avoiding the wet food now that I’m really mixing it in instead of separating it in their dish. At first they’d eat the old wet food and leave the new wet alone…so I started mixing it. We’re only on day 3. Any suggestions?

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Try feeding the new wet first, before offering the old. Maybe just a small portion to begin - a spoonful or two.

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't mix it. Put the new portion on the bottom and the old on top. See if they will keep going to the bottom. That is what I do when I feed a food with fish in it. My cat "HATES" fish. But if I sprinkle just a tiny bit of his chicken freeze dried raw on top...he eats it all no problem.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have to use toppers like crazy when I introduce a new food, and that doesn't even always work (and I don't feed ANY dry food, so mine goes hungry if he doesn't eat the wet :frown:). I have found that some cats really don't like the better quality foods, it's as simple as that. But in my humble opinion, even a poorer quality wet food is better than no wet food.

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As someone who is in the same boat, I recommend starting with some of the old food on top of the new food, and gradually weaning them off of it. Right now I am feeding my cat his new wet with his favorite treat sprinkled on top (Orijen Original Freeze-Dried) which is going well.