New to fostering, not doing so great

Maralya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I volunteered to a shelter to foster kittens. I was given a litter of 4 and the mama. They got here 8 days ago at around 2 weeks, maybe 2 week + 3-4 days. They basically threw me food and the cats and told me good luck. The instructions are, I kid you not, "give them food and water, love them, name them, weigh them every day".

Everything was perfect the first 4-5 days. Super nice and cooperative mama, takes good care of her kittens, healthy kittens gaining weight steadily...

But now, 8 days in, I have the following problems:

1. One of the kittens isn't gaining weight. She was
372 g on 15-05
367 g on 16-05
378 g on 17-05
377 g on 18-05
370 g today
I called the shelter 2 days ago and again yesterday, and she said she wasn't at all worried. I'm so confused and stressed out. She suggested yesterday that I supplement with formula. I tried to, but for now I can get the bottle to work, the kitten doesn't seem to want it... She's very playful, the same as the others, and seems to be doing fine, she's not left alone or neglected by the mother, but to me it's very worrying. And she seems to have diarrhea (I don't see all that's going on down there due to the mom taking care of that), but the vet tech doesn't seem to think it's a problem. What do you think? There's a long weekend coming, and the vet tech made me feel like I was dumb to worry.

2. The mom is losing weight. She has ample access to wet and dry kitten food, lots of fresh water. I often remind her to eat, but she seems picky. I try to offer different kinds of wet food, but I can't do that every day, it would become expensive. I give her some of the formula that the kitten didn't drink, she seems to like it. However every time she seems really into a kind of food, she loses interest the next time...

3. Mom seems constipated. This morning, there was blood in her stool.

They worry me so much :( I can't believe everything went downhill so fast. Any tips, encouragements, anything to help out a new foster mom? Thank you so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maralya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh and
4. One of the other kittens has a problem in one eye (teary). It's not looking too bad right now, but I don't know what I should do if it gets worse.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom and kittens probably need worming.

Moms aren’t as hungry as time goes by after giving birth, even though they are nursing, but she should have kitten formula every day for the extra calcium it supplies. Also see if plain boiled chicken and broth interest her. No spices; just salt.

Keep the weepy eye clean with a warm damp cloth. if you see yellow or green pus, you’ll need to apply terramycin.

The kitten who hasn’t really gained may be having a growth spurt. It takes time to catch up. Her weight is not bad for her age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maralya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, it reassures me a little. Once they are 600 g, they'll receive vaccines and worming medicine at the shelter, but I'm concerned that the tiny one won't ever make it if she doesn't gain :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue trying to supplement the little one with formula. Try a 3 or 5mL syringe without a nipple. She may learn to suckle that more easily. Don’t lose hope!