New Mom Started Aggressive Behavior 1week After Birth

TaraM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So a week ago my cat delivered her first (and hopefully last) litter of kittens. She was very affectionate to our family immediately letting us pet her and cuddle her. I held the kittens only to change the linens in her nesting box but she was always around and never seemed to mind. The last couple days she has been displaying some behavior that leads me to believe she’s in heat again. Then today she started attacking all of us out of nowhere. We had to lock her in the den with her kittens because she was literally chasing us even if we weren’t coming close to her or the kittens. How long does this usually last? My laundry room is down there so this is not going to work. Will she chill out soon or are we going to be using the laundry mat for the next 8 weeks? Is she in heat or just protecting her kittens all of a sudden? I’m so confused.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds to me like mom wants privacy with her kittens for now. Most new mama cats are very protective, especially the first 3 weeks.

If the den is inconvenient, move mom and kittens to a bedroom - even a closet. Put her food, water, and litter in the room too, and close the door.

Mom wants peace and quiet and privacy for now.

The kittens will begin leaving the nest to explore between 3-4 weeks, and need a kitten-proofed safe room to explore safely anyway, not the whole house.

They will still nurse mom and nap a lot once they leave the nest.

Don’t take mom’s moods personally. Her hormones are in high gear right now!