New kitty, unusual markings

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Ok, so this is my new kitten Luna! We adopted her a week ago at the age of 6 months from the local shelter. She is a small 5 lbs right now and has a super soft medium length coat!

Anyway, I know she is a bicolor black and white cat, but I noticed she has a few weird markings: first, ear freckles! She has a bunch of faded black markings on the edges of her ears. She also has four completely black paw pads, no pink whatsoever which I thought was neat. But strangest of all is her "ticking." She has black spots on her feet and legs like a border collie! I have never seen a cat with leg spots - how common is this? I didn't even notice them until after I got her!

She has more spots than it looks like but they're hard to see because her fur is so long on her legs.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Ok, so this is my new kitten Luna! We adopted her a week ago at the age of 6 months from the local shelter. She is a small 5 lbs right now and has a super soft medium length coat!

Anyway, I know she is a bicolor black and white cat, but I noticed she has a few weird markings: first, ear freckles! She has a bunch of faded black markings on the edges of her ears. She also has four completely black paw pads, no pink whatsoever which I thought was neat. But strangest of all is her "ticking." She has black spots on her feet and legs like a border collie! I have never seen a cat with leg spots - how common is this? I didn't even notice them until after I got her!

That pattern is often called for harlequin,  bicolor is the next step down the ladder of proportions of black and white...

The black paws is a sign the has the black gene for real.

I agree these black spots are less usual.  I think it is again a sign she has a strong black gene inside her.   Almost of verge of making her all black...

But I hope some other of our knowleable forumists has good comments here.   :)