New Kittens (8 mo) Different Eating Habits

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Back here after about 10 years. This time with just adopted eight months old kittens. Settling into their new home (indoors) after spending four months at the shelter. Supposedly sisters. Aja is a very good looking weight and build. Little sister Chyna is smaller, more slender and just looks younger and more "kitten-ish".

My assumptions are that at the shelter they were fed wet food once a day and grazed in community bowls (mix of Science Diet Kitten and Adult) the rest of the time. That's what I have been trying so far but just Kitten. At issue is that little Chyna seems to eat much less than Aja. Chyna digs in to her 1.3 oz portion but loses interest after after eating about a third. She takes twice as long to eat that third as it takes Aja to clean up her full portion. (Aja eats at a calm, ladylike pace)

Aja has very good manners and does not try to usurp Chyna's wet food or bother her when she's grazing at the shared bowl.

Regarding free feeding, I put an amount of food equivalent to the daily requirements of two five lb kittens. Now, after ten days, the free feeding bowl is getting emptied before morning, the next feeding time. My thoughts were that Chyna is only going to eat all she wants and that is less than Aja. So, I have Aja eating her share plus part of Chyna's share.

Now I'm thinking I need to put even more food down so that it is always available to Chyna. Problem is, I dread the thought of our beautiful Aja becoming overweight and unhealthy. This anxiety was driven home when I met my nephew's cat, Sweet Pea, at Christmas. My nephew took SP when her owner had to go to an assisted living facility. He has her on a diet but poor Sweet Pea weighs twenty pounds.

Thoughts?

By the way: Our previous cat, our boy Sasha, passed away after seventeen years in August. One vet gave Sasha little chance of survival back when he was about two or three years old. But, armed with information and advice from this website, we found a different vet who accepted and acted on that advice.

Aja looks exactly like her predecessor, Sasha.
Aja jpeg.jpg Chyna jpeg.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, --can you get a microchip activated feeding bowl?

Also, if you happen to think of it, you might suggest to your nephew to register here, but the main thing is to ensure Sweet Pea doesn't lose weight too fast, and if he can get her started, gently at first such as walking around the kitchen with her following him and her food bowl, ...with exercise that can be extremely helpful, as can wet food. A lot of cats gradually lose weight, which is really the only way to do it, by eating canned food and no kibble. Anyway, losing the weight too fast can actually be worse than her current situation because it will have a bad effect on her liver.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looked up the bowl. Might be the ticket. What'll they think of next.

Mitch is doing a fine job with Sweet Pea. She came upstairs and socialized with the crowd. A first according to Mitch.

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, Saturday little Chyna found a new hobby. Dipping kibble from the joint food dish and playing with it. Chasing each piece around the kitchen then eating it. I thought it was funny at first (it was). Then she stepped on my wife's yoga mat and threw up. At that point it was obvious just how much she had eaten. Alot.

Now I'm keeping an eye on her to prevent her from eating too much at one time. So far, so good.

And the $$$ feeder should arrive tomorrow.

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Report to mop up this thread.

My concern about Chyna's eating habits are no longer valid. She's eating plenty. (She has become a gorger and prone to overeating if allowed)

The two kittens have now been here for five weeks. The feeder is still in its box. Little Chyna is not so little anymore. She, and Aja have been eating slightly less than the prescribed amount for their age and weight. They have both bulked up on this diet. Chyna, in fact, is closing the weight gap between her and her sister, Aja. 7.0 lbs and 7.4 lbs respectively. I intended to cut back some more on food as both look like they are now putting on fat. I wanted to do this with the vet's approval, but our appointment is still almost three weeks away.

1.3 oz of Sheba Kitten Pate and six tbsp of Science Diet Kitten. Seven feedings per day. Little Chyna has had trouble tolerating more than one tbsp of the SDK at a time. Eating more than that in one feeding she has thrown it all up (three times now) after drinking. So, Aja has to eat on Chyna's schedule.

Going to pick up the second 7 lb bag of SDK today. Nine lbs total eaten over 40 days. Math equals just under a half cup per kitten per day plus the wet food.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear both are doing well and thriving. Thanks for coming back and updating everyone.