New Kitten - What's His Colouring/possible Ancestry?

Ky306

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interested to know. :) Got him at 8 weeks for free from a random friend of a friend of a friend, lol. Their new cat got pregnant from the neighbour's a few weeks after they got her, and they were trying to get rid of the kittens.
I've included a photo of his siblings (all were coloured like this except him and one other like him, out of 8) and his mum. Seller reckoned the mum is a Ragdoll and the neighbour's cat a full breed Maine Coon, but she also reckoned my kitten was a girl, so she didn't really know what she was talking about!
He's a little over 3 months old now.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a cutie! He'll be a very handsome and distinguished gentleman when he grows up :D. He's blue and white, looks to have medium-length fur. Medium-fur kitties usually have very thick coats in the winter and lose it in the summer so that they look shorthaired except for their tails.

If the mother is the black and white one, she's not a Ragdoll, lol. Ragdolls are pointed. It is interesting that 6 of the 8 kittens are pointed. This means the daddy cat is pointed---usually 50% of the kittens are pointed if one parent is, but I guess 6 out of 8 isn't out of the question.

My best guess is that the dad is a longhair blue point Ragdoll type (may or may not be purebred). The mom looks like a domestic. I can't tell if she has medium length fur like your guy (can't see her tail) or if she's shorthaired. But she doesn't look like she has any obvious purebred influence. She must carry the dilute gene and the longhair gene.

I hope they have her spayed soon :/.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He looks like a blue and white bicolor (in the tuxedo pattern) Domestic Mediumhair. I'd say his tail doesn't look quite plumed/bushy enough to be really a Longhair. That black and white kitty is definitely not a Ragdoll. Ragdolls are longhaired, pointed cats (with their colorpointing coming in the colorpointed, mitted, van, and bicolor patterns). His siblings look more Ragdoll in type, so maybe the dad had some Ragdoll in his ancestry. Your kitten is a handsome boy, no matter what! May I ask what his name is? :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I must add, both parents has the colorpoint gene to give pointed kittens. One - probably the daddy is a point, the bicolored momma is a carrier. This combo would easily give the result of 6 out of 8, even if 4 : 4 is the most common.

Maine coons arent known to be points - although it may surely happen with pet qualtity one.

Deciding the gender of a kitten isnt always easy. I have known reputable breeders whom were forced to change the name immediately before the self sell at 12 weeks...
But there are many stories when Peter suddenly appeared with a couple of small sweet kittens, (NOT fosterlings!) and become Petra instead...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ky306

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cool, thanks guys for your replies! :)